So, you love pizza. Good news is, you are not alone in this; I think millions, yours truly included, would trade an apple for a slice of pizza any time a day, right? So why not eat pizza at breakfast too? Of course with toppings suitable for such early hours.
You can enjoy a tasty, warm, crunchy breakfast in just 20-30 minutes using my thin pizza crust recipe which you can prepare in the evening and refrigerate overnight. Toppings are optional, you can use whatever you’re craving to eat in the morning (although I have a hunch cereal and milk might look a bit odd on a pizza; but whatever strikes your fancy!).
My daughter really loves eggs and cheese so for this time I thought I’d make a pizza with her favorite toppings but took the chance to squeeze in some veggies too, in the form of mushrooms, you know, just to play with her mind and drive her crazy. She’s not a fan of veggies (what kid is?) but she wouldn’t turn down an eggs and cheese pizza in spite of all the “yuk” mushrooms (her words, not mine). I am a mean, mean mother! I also had to make my husband happy so there’s some ham in there too.
Breakfast pizza recipe
- 8 tablespoons of passata (tomato puree)
- 70 g = 2.5 oz low fat ham
- 140 g = 5 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 handfuls grated mozzarella cheese
- 5 medium eggs
- Preheat oven at 200 C = 395 F
- Spread the passata over the crust
- Cut ham as preferred and spread over the passata layer
- Cut mushrooms into slices (I like big slices) and add a layer of mushrooms over the ham
- Bake for approx. 20 minutes on the top level of your oven.
- Remove pizza from oven and spread the grated mozzarella
- Break the eggs on top.
- Put back in the oven and bake for 5 minutes or more, depending on how well you like the eggs done.
- Serve with a cup of buttermilk or orange juice on a side