This post is sponsored by PicCollage & HP however all opinions and the tutorial are 100% my own.
Rustic home decor makes any space cozier! Give it even more warmth with an easy, inexpensive DIY Rustic Photo Frame using simple, affordable supplies like twigs and twine.
DIY Rustic photo frame
This DIY rustic photo frame is ridiculously easy and cheap that I had double thoughts about making an article out of this. But when I saw my PicCollage photos in this pretty frame I realized this is the perfect way to display pictures that are very dear to you. This rustic frame gives so much warmth to a photo and it also makes it stand out!
A rustic photo frame would make a great gift so if you’re looking for a nice gift for family an friends, just snap a few photos with your phone, either straight from the PicCollage app or by saving them first to your phone’s gallery, then make some fun collages to place in this photo frame. Using PicCollage is such a fun experience and a great addition to your DIY rustic photo frame project!
PicCollage is available for both iPhone and Android devices and makes it so easy to create customized, digital collages that truly capture the memories from those perfect days you spent with friends and family and then share them afterwards! You can showcase them all in one photo by selecting pictures from your gallery, choosing your background or template, add fun stickers and text if you want to, and then upload your collage to social media for everyone to enjoy!
Even better, thanks to technology from HP, PicCollage allows you to print directly from your phone onto a 5×7″ or a 4×6″ photo sheet! This was perfect for me as I got to make and print the collage for this photo frame from the comfort of my home. I made 3 photos with PicCollage and I chose the 4×6 printing option as I thought a smaller photo frame would be a better match for the main character of these collages, my sweet little daughter.
I really love the cute backgrounds, it was hard to choose one that’s why I picked a different one for each collage. But what really gets me excited is the printing from phone option. That’s mind boggling! So be sure to check it out at the PicCollage website; it’s free to download and it’s so much fun!
DIY Rustic Photo Frame tutorial
- 10 twigs of 15 cm = 6″ (adjust to your photo size; need to be longer than the photo though)
- 10 twigs of 20 cm = 8″ (adjust to your photo size; need to be longer than the photo though)
- cutting tool (to cut the twigs the desired length)
- transparent baking paper (to support the photo on)
- 1 reed tip to decorate (optional)
- glitter paint spray (optional)
- Separate the twigs into two piles based on size. Trim the ends to make them all of the desired length.
- Lay out your frame. Place 5 longer twigs on each size with the shorter ones on top and bottom.
- Take the twine and tie one end to a twig. Wrap around a few times. Switch directions and start wrapping the twine around the other corner so it creates a cross. Repeat on all corners. (you’ll need patience on the first 2 corners as the twigs move around and will want to shift)
- Leave the frame as is or spray some glitter paint as I did. Make sure the paint is completely dry before moving on to the next step.
- Cut some baking paper, slightly larger than your photo.
- Glue the back of the photo to the baking paper. Leave to completely dry.
- Glue the baking paper to the back of the frame, only on the sides, with the photo facing out. Adjust the baking paper size if you need to. I had to trim the top and bottom.
- Decorate and liven up an empty, lonely shelf with your beautiful art!