This post is sponsored by Sverve however all opinions and the recipes are my 100% my own.
Shanghai Chicken recipe with Tzatziki sauce
I absolutely love Shanghai chicken, the way I cook it. It’s really no rocket science to make this tasty recipe, although the name might suggest the opposite. I also have a soft spot for the Shanghai chicken recipe as my husband introduced me to it about 14 years ago when we’ve moved in together and started to make our first homemade meals. Ah, such lovely memories…
The way my husband used to make the Shanghai chicken was super delicious too but I recently discovered I’m in love with sesame seeds and using them in most of my recipes is a must. Turns out this recipe tastes even better paired with sesame seeds. And to me a Tzatziki sauce next to it comes as natural. I think together are simply a delight and create a distinct, scrumptious meal.
Normally the recipe calls for shredded chicken that needs to be lightly cooked to fit my taste before proceeding to the Shanghai chicken recipe but if you’re very short on time Farm Rich Smokehouse #SmokehouseBBQ comes to the rescue.
The Farm Rich Smokehouse is a new line in the multi-serve meal category at Walmart. Farm Rich products have been setting the standard for delicious, easy-to-prepare food the whole family loves. At the end of a long working day, there’s nothing better than something delicious for dinner.
The line features all natural meat:
- Pulled Beef Brisket in a Sweet & Smoky BBQ Sauce
- Pulled Pork BBQ
- Double Rubbed Dry Smoked Pork
- Double Rubbed Dry Smoked Chicken
The items are priced at $6.97. The dry rub products are a high protein quality item that has no preservatives. The unsauced items are perfect to have on hand to throw into a favorite recipe (pizza, casserole, tacos, etc). They are fully cooked and hand pulled, making family dinners so much easier.
Enjoy a variety of delicious BBQ flavors featuring chicken, beef, and pork with and without their signature sauces. And don’t forget to use this coupon when purchasing your product of choice.
Side note: If you’re really in a rush you can skip the sesame seeds part but this is what makes this recipe so fancy and truly, super delicious. You’re sure to keep friends and family in awe with these tasty bites, be it at a fancy event, a casual party or just a family dinner.
Shanghai chicken recipe
- Farm Rich Smokehouse BBQ Double Rubbed Dry Smoked Chicken
- 3 eggs
- 4-5 tablespoons flour
- 4-5 tablespoons bread crumbs
- sesame seeds
- In a bowl beat the eggs with pepper
- Add flour and mix until smooth (composition should be as thick as sour cream)
- Run the chicken through the egg and flour mixture then through bread crumbs and sesame seeds
- Fry on both sides in hot oil until golden (wear long sleeve oven mitts to protect yourself)
- Place the Shanghai chicken on a kitchen towel so that excess oil is absorbed
- Serve with Tzatziki sauce
- Add chili flakes to the egg & flour composition if you like spicy food
- Serve warm or cold (taste better if warm)
- Serve as a snack, appetizer or main meal
- Bread not necessary (flour & bread crumbs make up for it) but if you prefer to add bread, a pita would be the perfect match
Tzatziki sauce recipe
This is a very flavorful sauce, fresh and tasty. The main feature is that it’s very easy and quick to make. The tzatziki sauce matches most foods but I’d totally recommend it next to my Shanghai chicken, especially if you choose to make the spicy version of the above recipe.
- 250 gr = 9 oz Greek yogurt
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 3 cloves garlic
- Fresh mint (you can skip if you don't have)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Grate the cucumber
- Chop dill and mint
- Mix cucumber, dill and mint
- Smash garlic and add to all ingredients
- Mix all with yogurt, salt and olive oil