Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Using a puff pastry crust and homemade filling, these delicious apple pie cups are the best way to enjoy apple pie in a pinch! Enjoy a bite of apple pie in a fraction of the time it would take you to make a regular homemade apple pie from scratch with these easy & simple mini apple pies!
Apple pie bites
Apple pie is a classic fall dessert. But whipping up an apple pie is easier said than done. Luckily, you can enjoy a bite of apple pie in a fraction of the time it would take you to make a homemade apple pie with this simple recipe for apple pie cups!
Apple pie is one of my favorite fall desserts! And while I love a good slice of pie, store bought pies aren’t the greatest. But who has the time and energy to make a pie from scratch? If you’re craving a piece of apple pie but don’t want a slice of store-bought pie, you’re in luck! I have a simple recipe for individual apple pies, that takes around 30 minutes to make. And you only need a few simple ingredients to put these apple pie cups together!
More apple recipes you will love
- Apple crepes with caramel sauce
- Caramel apple pear punch
- No bake orange apple cheesecake
- Filo pastry apple pies
- Apple puff pastry ring
- Adorable apple roses
- Apple stuffed pork loin
- Pork and apple burgers
- Apple jam with green tomatoes
Apple Pie Cups Crust
No apple pie would be complete without a nice, flaky crust. But with these mini apple pies in muffin tins, you won’t need to make your own pie crust from scratch. Frozen puff pastry is the perfect substitute for a flaky pie crust when you don’t have the time to make your own crust. And it’s perfect for creating mini apple pie cups because you can easily cut it into the size you need to fit inside a muffin pan!
Apple Pie Cups Filling
Since you won’t be making your muffin tin apple pies from scratch, you’ll have a few extra minutes to whip up your own pie filling. While you could make this recipe super simple and use canned apple pie filling, once you try this easy recipe, you’ll never use the canned stuff again!
You won’t believe how easy it is to make your own apple pie filling! All you need are some fresh apples, water, sugar, spices, and cornstarch.
The most important part of this recipe is the apples you use to make your filling. And with so many varieties to choose from, it can be hard to know which type of apple to use in your apple pie cups.
What apples are best to use for these apple pie cups?
For my apple pie cups, I chose gala apples. These crisp red apples created a deliciously sweet pie filling that perfectly complemented the flakey puff pastry crust. Here are a few other apple varieties that work well for homemade apple pie filling:
- Granny Smith: a slightly sour green apple that creates a tart pie filling that tastes delicious when combined with the sweet pie filling syrup.
- Idared: found at farmer’s markets and pick-your-own orchards, this popular fall variety is tart and spicy – perfect for adding to the sugary syrup in the homemade pie filling.
- Golden Delicious: a yellow apple with a mild taste that enhances the flavor of the spices in the pie filling
After picking the perfect apple, keep reading to learn how to make your own mini apple pie cups.
Apple pie cups
The ingredients listed below make 18 pie cups, ready in 35 minutes. I used puff pastry, thawed first. I peeled, cored and cubed the apples and sprinkled with lemon juice. Other ingredients used in this recipe are cornstarch, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
6 apples, peeled, cored and cubed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin by greased with nonstick cooking spray. Puff pastry needs to be cut into nine equal squares.
Each square will be placed inside a muffin cup.
Bake the pastry cups for half the time then remove from oven and allow to rest for five minutes.
While the pastry is baking, make the apple pie filling.
Use a spoon to press down the center of each pastry cup, then fill the cup with the apple filling. Top the apples with chopped pecans.
Place the pies back in the oven and bake for 5 to 10 more minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
Allow pies to cool for five to 10 minutes in the pan, then remove to wire rack to cool completely before serving. You can also serve these hot but taste better cold.
Print the recipe
Apple pie cups
- 1 package puff pastry thawed
- 6 apples peeled, cored and cubed
- The juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup water
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin by greasing with nonstick cooking spray. Cut each sheet of puff pastry into nine equal squares.
- Place each square inside a muffin cup and press into the cup. Bake the pastry cups for 10 minutes. When the pastry begins to brown, remove from oven and allow to rest for five minutes.
- While the pastry is baking, make the apple pie filling by adding cubed apples, lemon juice, and water to a medium saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for eight minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Add the mixture to the apples and stir to coat. Simmer for two minutes then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Use a spoon to press down the center of each pastry cup, then fill the cup with apple filling. Top the apples with chopped pecans. Place the pies back in the oven and bake for 5 to 10 more minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Allow pies to cool for five to 10 minutes in the pan, then remove to wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Pin to save for later