This caramel pretzel ice cream cake is sweet and salty at the same time, crunchy and creamy, refreshing and incredibly delicious! Perfect for satisfying both a sweet and salty tooth.
Caramel Pretzel ice cream cake with nuts and mixed seeds
I am a big ice cream fan, especially at summer time. A scoop of ice cream simply makes my day. I love vanilla ice cream and any berry ice cream because they’re not only refreshing but very flavorful too. And after publishing the 11 Homemade Ice Cream recipes that you will fall in love with I felt the urge to have some ice cream. So I took two scoops of the vanilla ice cream that’s been sitting in the freezer for a while.
But it felt too plain and boring. I wanted something crunchy so I thought I’d add some nuts and seeds to “spice” things up. And then I found myself craving something salty so I’ve thrown in some pretzels too. And what goes really well with vanilla ice cream? A touch of caramel sauce so I drizzled a little of that too. And then, it suddenly hit me! What if I make an ice cream cake with all these awesome ingredients so I could have some of this deliciousness in the freezer for longer? And this is how the caramel pretzel ice cream cake with nuts and seeds was born.
This ice cream cake is really, really easy to make and pretty quick too. It took longer to make the caramel sauce which you can find here in my Caramel, popcorn, pretzel and mixed nuts bars recipe and wait for it all to freeze properly.
I roughly chopped the pretzels and nuts, mixed them with sesame, sunflower and cumin seeds which I roasted in advance, prepared the caramel sauce and then mixed everything together (as a note, if you don’t like cumin you can simply skip the ingredient). I spread a thin layer of this mixture on a tray (I used plastic but glass is recommended; I just didn’t have any that small), I covered with a generous layer of vanilla ice cream and finished with another thin layer of caramel pretzel mixture and sprinkled a few more seeds (for design purposes only). I transferred the tray to the freezer and left it overnight.
I found it easier to cut the cake with a very sharp knife, dipped in warm water from time to time. If you plan to serve the whole cake at once (and I really hope there will be more than just 1 person -you!- enjoying it), it’s still safer to cut the cake while in the tray instead of removing the cake first and cutting afterwards on the counter.
Caramel pretzel ice cream cake recipe
- 3 cups pretzels
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup mixed raw seeds (sesame, sunflower, cumin)
- Vanilla ice cream as much as desired
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (I used big ones and cut them in smaller pieces)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Roughly chop the pretzels and peanuts
- Roast the mixed nuts until sesame seeds get a golden color (not longer or they'll taste bitter)
- Mix everything together
- In a medium saucepan, bring sugar and 1/4 cup water to a boil over medium-high
- Boil until mixture is amber in color, approx 12 minutes
- Remove pan from heat and slowly pour in cream (mixture will sputter so be careful)
- Immediately add marshmallows and stir until melted
- Pour caramel mixture over the pretzels mixture and quickly stir with a rubber spatula to coat well
- Spread a thin layer of the caramel pretzel mixture in a glass tray of about 20x15 cm = 8"x6"
- Add a thick layer of vanilla ice cream (make sure it not super frozen so you can easily spread it with a spoon)
- Finish with a layer of caramel pretzel mixture; gently press with a spoon to make sure the caramel pretzel mixture adheres to the ice cream
- Transfer to a freezer and leave overnight
- Cut small portions with a very sharp knife, dipped in water