How to make rolled handbag handles
- strip of fabric 26″ x 5″ = 67 cm x 13 cm (I used mustard canvas)
- zipper foot
- bag cording 3/8″ = 10 mm
- if you’re using canvas as I did, you’ll need canvas/jeans needle of 100/16 or 110/18 and heavy duty thread too.
- sewing machine
Making the tube
- Match the raw edges of the fabric strip, lengthwise, right side in and sew down that line with a 1/4″ seam allowance to make a tube.
- Turn the tube right side out, press the tube so the seam falls in the middle, and press.
- Lay your cording 2″ = 5 cm away from one end of the handle and stop at 2″ away from the other end.
- Match the edges of the fabric strip so it wraps around the cord and pin in place.
- Using a zipper foot, sew around the edge a 1/8″ seam.
- If you think your cording needs more stability so it won’t slip out, glue the ends down to the fabric before sewing closed.
- You’re done! Now attach your beautiful corded straps to that gorgeous purse you’re making!
I am really curious about your tote bag projects with corded handles, so if you already made one, please share your creation with us. Also, what is your preferred method of making them?
Pin to save for later
More bag articles you might like:
Most Popular Sewing Articles: