How to pickle cucumbers
Ingredients for 3 jars:
- Approx 2 kg = 4 lbs fresh pickling cucumbers
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- yellow mustard seeds
- garlic (optional; I didn’t use as my daughter doesn’t like it)
- 6 large dry bay leaves or 9 small
- 3-4 27 fl oz jars
- Wash the cucumbers very well and keep only the healthy ones.
- Sterilize jars well (here’s an article on the topic)
- Place into jars (don’t overcrowd them).
SEE MY MOST RECENT VIDEOS HERE
- Add vinegar to the bottom of the jar (about 2 fingers).
- Put one teaspoon of sugar and one of salt in each jar.
- Add 2 large bay leaves (or 3 small), about 30 peppercorns and 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, per jar (if you chose to use garlic, put 2-3 cloves per jar at this stage).
- Fill with water almost up to the rim.
- Tightly screw the lid on.
- Place jars in a large pot and cover with water up to the lid.
- Bring to boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 1 hour, without removing from the pot.
- Transfer to a baking sheet, bottoms up, and place in a pre heated oven on low, for 15 minutes. They’ll change color which is exactly what you want.
- Good to serve after about 1 month.
More Pickling Recipes You Might Like:
- 27 Easy pickling and canning recipes
- 33 Southern Pickle Recipes to Relish
- Best 20 spicy pickle recipes
Most Popular Articles
Pages: 1 2