Make an easy and simple but yummylicious treat that both kids and adults will love with these foolproof jam donuts, filled with homemade strawberry jam! Nothing beats a classic dessert!
Jam filled Donuts
I’m a sucker for classic desserts just like these jam filled donuts! Making these delicious jam doughnuts takes little to no effort and they turn out super yum! I’ve yet to meet anyone who doesn’t love jam filled donuts! In fact, donuts of any kind!
My recipe for jam donuts makes light, fluffy donuts, filled with just the right amount of strawberry jam for the perfect tea time treat. The ultra traditional donut recipe could be played up all kinds of different ways but I personally prefer this simple version of strawberry jam donuts which I believe is a great dessert in any season.
Similar posts you might like:
- Strawberry jam Linzer cookies
- Jam filled chocolate covered cookies
- Apple jam with green tomatoes
- Blackberry jam pastries
These jam filled donuts taste even better with homemade strawberry jam and I personally like them cold from the fridge but room temperature works just as great too. Some people even like to serve these hot.
There’s nothing quite like freshly cooked donuts! All it takes to make this jam doughnut recipe is just a few simple ingredients to make wonderfully moist, puffy and difficult to resist jam donuts! An easy to follow recipe that produces an unbeatable treat, especially when served fresh and warm, dusted with sugar!
To make this amazing dessert you won’t need a lot of ingredients and chances are you already have them or most of them in your pantry. You’ll need flour, salt, dry yeast, milk, sugar, eggs and butter. You’ll also need oil to fry the donuts and confectioners’ sugar to dust the donuts (optional)
And of course you’ll need jam. I used strawberry jam but feel free to use your favorite jam. I like to make my own strawberry jam and use it fresh, right after making it but store bought strawberry jam would do the trick too. Just make sure it’s not too solid, you need it smooth and soft so you can pipe it easily into the donuts.
To get fluffy donuts, mix the yeast with some milk and sugar and let the mixture sit in a warm place until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Once the dough is prepared don’t rush making these jam filled donuts. Instead, let the dough rise for a couple of hours. Allow the donuts to rise some more after cutting into rounds and laying them on a flat surface, covered with a warm but dry towel. This will help the donuts become fluffy and airy which is not only good for your taste buds but it will make some room for the jam when you fill the donuts.
To make these jam donuts you will also need these kitchen tools:
Get FREE access to my entire resource library!
Signup for updates on new articles, products & special offers and get access to my entire resource library!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Print the recipe
Jam donuts with homemade strawberry jam
- 4 to 4 1/2 cup flour plus more for dusting
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
- strawberry jam or jam of choice
- vegetable oil for frying
- icing sugar for dusting
You will also need:
- mixing bowl
- small bowl
- rolling pin
- round cookie cutter
- baking sheet
- pastry bag
- 1/2 round tip
- In a mixing bowl combine 4 cups flour and salt then add the yeast.
- Mix the yeast with 2 tablespoons of the milk and 2 tablespoons sugar and let sit until foamy, about 5 to 10 minutes then add to the flour with the remaining milk.
- Add the eggs and butter to the flour mixture.
- Begin to mix the ingredients into a soft, but not sticky, dough. Add a little extra milk if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time or work in extra flour if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Punch down the risen dough then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few seconds.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin then gradually roll out the dough to about 1/2" thick. Cut out into 3 to 4-inch rounds with a lightly floured cookie cutter. Re-roll the scraps to make more rounds.
- Place the doughnuts on lightly floured baking sheets, spacing them apart so they don't touch when rising, and cover lightly with a dry towel. Let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 20 minutes.
- Fill a fryer 3-inches high with vegetable oil and heat at about 350 F. Fry the doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden and puffed, turning frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Lift the doughnuts from the oil and place on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Let cool slightly and fill a pastry bag, fitted with a 1/2" round tip, with jam.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Pin to save for later
Most popular recipes: