Make an easy and simple but yummylicious treat that both kids and adults will love with this foolproof jam donuts recipe! Nothing beats a classic dessert!
Jam Donuts Recipe
I’m a sucker for classic desserts just like this jam donuts recipe! It takes little effort and they turn out super delicious. Plus I’ve yet to meet anyone who doesn’t love donuts.
This jam donuts recipe makes light, fluffy donuts, filled with just the right amount of strawberry jam for the perfect tea time treat. The ultra traditional donut recipe could be played up all kinds of different ways but I personally prefer this simple version which I believe is a great dessert in any season.
There’s nothing quite like freshly cooked donuts! All it takes is just a few simple ingredients to make wonderfully moist, puffy and difficult to resist donuts! An easy to follow recipe that produces an unbeatable treat, especially when served warm and dusted with sugar!
Jam Donuts Recipe
- 4 to 4 1/2 cup flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- strawberry jam (or jam of choice)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- icing sugar, for dusting
You will also need:
- In a mixing bowl combine 4 cups flour and salt then add the yeast.
- Mix the yeast with 2 tablespoons of the milk and 2 tablespoons sugar and let sit until foamy, about 5 to 10 minutes then add to the flour with the remaining milk.
- Add the eggs and butter to the flour mixture.
- Begin to mix the ingredients into a soft, but not sticky, dough. Add a little extra milk if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time or work in extra flour if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Punch down the risen dough then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few seconds.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin then gradually roll out the dough to about 1/2″ thick. Cut out into 3 to 4-inch rounds with a lightly floured cookie cutter. Re-roll the scraps to make more rounds.
- Place the doughnuts on lightly floured baking sheets, spacing them apart so they don’t touch when rising, and cover lightly with a dry towel. Let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 20 minutes.
- Fill a fryer 3-inches high with vegetable oil and heat at about 350 F. Fry the doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden and puffed, turning frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Lift the doughnuts from the oil and place on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Let cool slightly and fill a pastry bag, fitted with a 1/2″ round tip, with jam.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Loved this? Sign up to my newsletter and get all the latest goodness right in your inbox!