Homemade Pumpkin Pie
Have you ever had a pumpkin pie you didn’t like? I am a big fan of homemade pumpkin pie, it’s been my faithful companion ever since I was a little child. When we wanted a quick, delicious dessert, mom was throwing a super tasty pumpkin pie, in no time.
We always have pumpkin in the house, we grate it and keep it in the freezer so we can enjoy a delicious pumpkin pie all year round. For many people pumpkin is a fall and Halloween related fruit (yes, pumpkin is a fruit, says Wikipedia) but to us pumpkin is a regular ingredient in our food, pies in particular.
This recipe is amazing, the taste of pumpkin is simply transformed by the cinnamon, tasting more like an apple pie with a hint of pumpkin. This homemade pumpkin pie is super easy, super delicious and it looks great as a dessert on a festive dinner. That is if you are not the Queen of clumsiness and mess up the design, as your truly did. Not entirely my fault though, the pastry was quite disappointing and made my life way harder than it should’ve. Plus I wanted to sprinkle powdered sugar and form bats and ghosts and it all went…well…let’s leave it to ugly (sigh)
What I really love about this homemade pumpkin pie is the cinnamon and walnut addition. They give the pie such a special, remarkable flavor and match the sweetness in pumpkin perfectly.
Homemade pumpkin pie recipe
- 400 gr = 14 oz Thin Puff pastry
- 1 kg = 2 lbs Pumpkin, grated
- 50 gr = 2 oz melted butter
- 1 Small cup sugar
- 7 Tablespoons oil (I used sunflower)
- 2 Fistfuls walnuts (halves or crushed; I prefer them in halves)
- Cinnamon to taste
- 10 gr = 0.35 oz vanilla sugar (or 2-3 teaspoons)
- Mix the grated pumpkin with oil, place in a non stick skillet and roast for about 2 minutes on high.
- Add sugar, vanilla sugar, walnuts and cinnamon
- Spread half of the pastry sheets on a baking tray (make sure the pastry is larger than the tray)
- Spread the pumpkin composition on
- Fold the pastry's edges over the pumpkin mixture
- Place the rest of pastry sheets over the pumpkin mixture
- Nicely tuck in the top layer of pastry
- Pour melted butter over the top layer of pastry
- Bake for 30 min at 180 C = 356 F
- Sprinkle cinnamon and powdered sugar