Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Using just a few ingredients you most likely have on hand, you can make your own natural, DIY deodorant in literally no time! This homemade deodorant recipe is healthier than the store bought version, easy and budget friendly!
Homemade deodorant recipe
If you are anything like me, you probably hate chemicals in your cosmetic products! These practically took over all of the aspects of our lives, we eat and breathe chemicals. It’s probably impossible to lead a chemical free life but I like to try and limit their impact as much as possible. In addition to making my own homemade deodorant. I also like to make natural cleaning products (you can find the list here), my own compost instead of buying it and I stopped using softener in my laundry in favor of vinegar.
I must admit, I was a bit skeptical about this baking soda deodorant, mainly because I didn’t want to use any binding agent in my deodorant (like Cocoa or Mango butter), other than coconut oil. So I expected my homemade natural deodorant to crumble as soon as it touches my armpit!
Similar posts you might like:
But to my surprise it all “glued” together nicely and stayed put even when I applied the homemade deodorant stick to skin. I did have to rub my armpits a little after applying the deodorant, but that’s just a teeny tiny detail that didn’t bother me.
I love this homemade deodorant because it doesn’t clog the pores and doesn’t block the sweat glands as the commercial version does which is thought by some to be a possible cause of breast cancer. This deodorant kept it’s scent the whole day and I didn’t need to re apply. I used one of my favorite essential oils, Purification (a special blend of Lemongrass, Rosemary, Melaleuca, Myrtle, Citronella and Lavandin).
Purification is specifically designed to neutralize odors, making it perfect for this project!
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 4 drops of Purification essential oils blend
- optional: 3 tablespoons cocoa or mango butter
- you’ll also need an used deodorant stick or a small jar to store the deodorant
- Make sure baking soda is very fine. If not, run it through a grinder first.
- Mix well with cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of coconut oil over the dry ingredients and mix very well with a fork.
- Add essential oil and mix again.
- Add the rest of the coconut oil and mix well. You should now get a paste like texture.
- With a teaspoon, transfer the mixture to an old deodorant stick or to a small jar, pressing the paste well every time you add mixture to the deodorant stick.
- Keep in the fridge for a few minutes then make sure you store it in a cool room (or the coconut oil will melt). Or better yet, keep it in the fridge. It will give you a nice cooling sensation every time you use it.
If you liked this tutorial and found it useful please let me know in the comment section below and don’t forget to rate it! Thanks!