Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Tired of the old pumpkin pie? Try this lemon pumpkin cake recipe! Two layers of moist, delicious pumpkin cake, filled with sweet/tart lemon cheese frosting make this easy pumpkin cake the perfect fall dessert!
Lemon pumpkin cake
I love anything pumpkin and I would never turn down a slice of pumpkin pie! But how many pumpkin pies one could handle, right? Sometimes enough is enough and when you had that much “enough”, it’s time for a super delicious lemon pumpkin cake recipe, made with fresh pumpkin, cream cheese frosting and a little bit of lemon zest! Insanely easy to make, this pumpkin cake recipe tastes just like pumpkin heaven and is the perfect fall dessert, not only for pumpkin lovers!
Want more pumpkin recipes?
- Pumpkin cream cheese bread
- Pumpkin bundt cake with buttercream frosting
- Rice pudding bars with pumpkin Oreo crust
- Pumpkin bread with chocolate chips
- Pumpkin pies in filo pastry cups
This pumpkin lemon cake recipe is not only super yummy and crazy easy to make but also makes a very moist cake, a great dessert for potlucks, family gatherings or fall parties! The lemon cheese frosting complements it perfectly, making it light and refreshing! As I’m a sucker for crunchy, I decided to add some pumpkin seeds to the batter and then sprinkle some ground walnuts on top of my lemon pumpkin cake. Awesome choice but if you’re only after a moist, fluffy cake, skip these two ingredients.
A great change-up from the classic pumpkin pie, this pumpkin cake recipe with fresh pumpkin will soon become a family favorite!
Most Popular Recipes
Pumpkin Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
What do you need to make lemon pumpkin cake?
I had tons of fresh pumpkin so I opted to use that instead of canned pumpkin and to be honest, I loved it sooo much, I will probably never go back to the canned version, this one tastes so much better!
You will also need sugar, vegetable oil, flour (I used all purpose with great results), baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
Optional ingredients that are optional:
- unsalted pumpkin seeds
- ground walnuts for dusting
- cinnamon for dusting
You will also need:
- 2 bowls
- hand mixer
- removable bottom, round cake pan (I used a 10″ pan)
- parchment paper
- butter or oil for greasing
[amazon-related-products keywords=”product suggestions keywords”]
How do you make pumpkin cake from scratch?
- In a mixing bowl, mix pumpkin, 2 cups white sugar, and oil. Add eggs and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, and using a hand mixer, beat on medium speed until well blended.
- Add pumpkin seeds (optional) and blend well on low speed.
- Pour batter into a cake pan, greased and lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Remove from the cake pan.
- For the frosting: In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add 1 3/4 cups icing sugar, and mix well. Add lemon zest and mix thoroughly. Add milk if needed, until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Slice the cake horizontally, right through the middle. Add frosting in between the top and bottom cake layers and on top of the cake then sprinkle with ground walnuts and cinnamon.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days (you most likely won’t have to deal with this though, it’ll be gone in minutes!)
Pumpkin cake recipe with lemon cheese frosting
- 15 oz fresh pumpkin grated
- 2 cups sugar granulated
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs free range
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- butter or oil for greasing
For the cream cheese frosting
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- ground walnuts to sprinkle
- cinnamon for dusting
- Prepare a round cake pan by greasing and lining with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, mix pumpkin, 2 cups white sugar, and oil.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, and using a hand mixer, beat until well blended.
- Add pumpkin seeds and blend well.
- Pour batter into a greased round cake pan.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely
- Remove from the cake pan
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add 1 3/4 cups icing sugar, and mix well. Add lemon zest and mix thoroughly. Add milk if needed, until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Slice the cake horizontally, right through the middle.
- Add frosting in between layers and on top then sprinkle with ground walnuts and cinnamon.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days (you most likely won't have to deal with this issue though, it'll be gone in minutes!)
Pin to save for later