A delicious orange pound cake recipe that is super moist, fluffy and full of orange flavor. Add a bit of Nutella and you’re in for a scrumptious, festive dessert!
Orange Pound Cake Recipe
Making this orange pound cake was such a fun experience! I really loved playing around with the ingredients and that’s how adding a bit of Nutella to give this fluff dessert a bit of chewy came to life. I love the orange chocolate combination, it makes any dessert stand out!
I also love a bit of chocolate in my desserts and I thought adding Nutella to the baking process would truly transform this otherwise simple recipe. It gave the cake a chewy texture but this happened by accident really, as I put a layer of Nutella just in the middle of the cake at baking but the chocolate ended up at the bottom. It worked great! The orange glaze gives this dessert the finishing touches, adding just the right freshness and tastiness without making it too sweet or moist.
I used an old pound cake recipe I followed for this Fresh Cherry Pound Cake recipe and it worked just as great! The cake turned out dense but with a fine texture, just the way I wanted it to be! You can skip the glaze if you want to serve this dessert simple but I personally think this is what makes the recipe so perfect!
Orange Pound Cake Recipe
- 4 Eggs, room temperature
- 200 gr = 7 oz unsalted butter. room temperature
- 150 gr = 5 oz sugar
- 200 gr = 7 oz self rising flour
- zest from 2 large oranges (you may need some of the juice too)
- 1 cup milk
- 10 gr = 1/3 oz baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 30 gr = 1 oz vanilla sugar
- Nutella as preferred
- Chocolate flakes (optional)
For the Orange glaze:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 spoon orange zest
- 1 – 2 freshly squeezed orange juice (depends on how thick you want your glaze; start with one and add more if needed)
- Cream butter and sugar using an electric mixer (about 5 minutes).
- Beat in vanilla sugar, eggs (one at a time), salt and orange zest (leave a tablespoon aside for glaze); mix well.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Add flour and mix until fully incorporated, no clumps left. You should get a batter that is not too thick or watery. If you think it’s too thick add some orange juice until you’re happy with the texture.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F = 180 C
- Line a pound cake mold with baking paper.
- Pour 2/3 of the mixture in then add a layer of Nutella (I poured 1/2 the mixture and Nutella ended at the bottom of the cake).
- Add the second half of the batter.
- Transfer the mold to the oven and bake on medium heat for about 30 min or until the cake is golden (test with a toothpick to see if it’s done. If no batter sticks to the toothpick, then the cake is done). Don’t open the oven on the first 10 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the mold then remove to a working surface.
- To make the orange glaze whisk sugar with orange zest and orange juice in a small bowl until smooth. Add orange juice bit by bit until you’re happy with the texture and consistency.
- Pour glaze over the cake and sprinkle chocolate flakes (optional).