At Spring time my family and I try to eat lighter and incorporate more fresh vegetables in our meals and this rice with mushrooms and chicken liver recipe is just the right dish to start our new journey to a healthier lifestyle.
I love this rice dish because it’s very nutritious yet light and I feel full after just a few bites. And as we’re trying to transition to a diet based mainly on fruit and vegetables for the Summer time, we are constantly trying to incorporate more fresh vegetables with every cooked meal until we feel ready for a vegetarian diet. I know my parents will have a hard time following this kind of lifestyle and will most likely fall off the wagon but I truly enjoy a vegetarian diet and most Summers I basically live on tomatoes with fresh cheese, oranges and watermelon.
The chicken liver is a great addition to this dish as to me it doesn’t feel as heavy as other meat dishes my mom usually cooks at Winter and Autumn time while it provides a high amount of protein and iron, unlike other meat based products. The way mom cooks it is simply delicious and it doesn’t take up a lot of your time.
250 g Long grain rice
1 kg Fresh white mushrooms (or 1 can)
3 large Carrots
2 White onions
1 Large red bell pepper
100 ml sunflower oil or olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 kg chicken liver
4-5 cloves of garlic (large)
Directions for the rice
- Wash the mushrooms well and cut them thin
- Fry them in a deep pan with a little oil until slightly brown. If you use canned mushrooms this step is not necessary.
- Peel the onions, wash and chop them finely .
- Clean the carrots and grate them, not too fine.
- Then fry carrots and onions in a pan with a little oil until slightly brown.
- Clean the zucchinis and bell pepper then cut into cubes.
- Add the mushrooms, zucchini and bell peppers to the composition of carrots and onion, salt and mix lightly. Leave the pan on low heat and cook the rice meanwhile.
- For cooking the rice use about 1 liter of water per 100g of rice. Add a bit of salt and leave to boil
- When almost done, drain the rice and add it to the vegetable mix
- Mix well, salt and pepper to taste, and leave everything to cook for additional 15-20 min.
Directions for the chicken liver:
- Wash the liver thoroughly.
- Cut the garlic finely or sliced.
- Place livers and some in oil in deep skillet.
- Add the garlic.
- When the liver is slightly cooked, take the skillet off and add water to cover the chicken liver.
- Leave to cook over low heat for about 20-30 minutes, with a lid on.
- When they start to get brown turn the flame off.
- It is very important to add salt only at the end, after the flame is off as salt hardens the chicken liver.
- Pepper and other spices can be added from the beginning.
Voila! Your delicious rice with mushrooms and chicken liver is ready. Enjoy!