If you’re not cooking for a large crowd for Thanksgiving, roasting a whole turkey might seem like such a waste. This brined roasted turkey breast might be the best option for you!
Brined Roasted Turkey Breast
We love turkey and we find ourselves roasting or barbecuing some all year round. Because let’s be honest here, turkey isn’t just for Thanksgiving and Christmas! But turkey can dry out even if you cook it low and slow. Plus, most times a whole turkey is a bit too much for us, it’s just not justifying the time and efforts involved. This brined roasted turkey breast recipe will solve all problems.
Brining will add moisture and if you add flavoring to your brine, it will give you a deliciously flavored turkey meat too. A brined roasted turkey breast will turn out tender and juicy on the inside, with a beautiful, slightly crisp skin if you decide to keep the skin on. As I’m watching calories these days, I removed the skin but the outside of my turkey breast still got the right amount of crispiness, just as I needed.
As for the rub in this brined turkey breast recipe, I used chili and paprika powder, dry thyme, black pepper, sugar and brown sugar but you could obviously adapt it to your liking. I think a little orange zest would also work wonders to this recipe. And don’t even get me started on garlic! If you are a garlic freak as myself, you know what I’m talking about; pure heaven!
So if you’re looking for some versatile, flavorful turkey recipe, this brined roasted turkey breast is it. Give it a try, you will want to make this over and over again, not just at Thanksgiving! We served this with a cranberry orange sauce which recipe I’ll be sharing tomorrow, so stay tuned.
Brined Roasted Turkey Breast Recipe
For the brine:
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup ice cubes
- cold water to cover turkey
- 3 lbs turkey breast, boneless and skinless (you can keep both bone and skin on if you prefer)
For the rub:
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp dry thyme powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- cranberry orange sauce for serving (recipe follows)
You will also need:
- Place salt and boiling water in a tall pot. Stir until salt dissolves. Add ice cubes and stir until water is cold. Place turkey in pot and add enough cold water to cover. Stir brine around turkey, cover pot and refrigerate overnight (anything between 12 and 24 hrs works).
- Preheat oven to 350 C = 180 C
- Make the rub: mix dry ingredients, in a bowl then stir in oil.
- Remove turkey from brine and pat dry with paper towels. Rub spice mixture over breast then place in foil pan.
- Place pan in the middle of the oven and cook for about 1 1⁄2 hours, basting every half an hour.
- Remove turkey to a cutting board and let rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with cranberry orange sauce.