Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Ever heard of microwaved Moroccan stuffed peppers? These turkey stuffed bell peppers are super quick to make in the microwave oven and are sweet and savory and very, very aromatic!
Turkey stuffed bell peppers
I’m always running short on time so I’m constantly looking for meal ideas that are quick but taste like I’ve spent hours in the kitchen. Just like this turkey stuffed bell peppers recipe! So easy to prepare, fast to cook and so flavorful, these lovely sweet stuffed peppers will become a family favorite with the first bite!
These delicious turkey stuffed peppers are light, juicy, refreshing and taste great served warm or just straight from the fridge!
My family loves stuffed peppers and we make them quite often. But I find them a little too heavy sometimes especially when they’re stuffed with pork meat or a mixture of ground beef and pork. So I thought of using turkey meat instead to make my turkey stuffed bell peppers.
Want more turkey recipes?
- Sweet & spicy turkey breast with vegetables
- Turkey soup with roasted veggie
- Turkey breast stew with peas
- One sheet pan turkey & vegetables
- Butternut squash turkey veggie bake
- Brined roasted turkey breast
- Bacon wrapped turkey breast
These quick stuffed peppers are cooked in the microwave so they’re really quick to make, about 30 minutes from start to finish. They’re made with brown rice for added healthy factor and I’ve added raisins for a little bit of sweetness that truly complements this savory recipe. These delicious turkey stuffed bell peppers are loaded with refreshing, dreamy Mediterranean flavors!
These ground turkey stuffed peppers are not only an easy, quick meal but they’re also delicious, filling, satisfying and nutritious, a perfect weeknight dinner idea for busy families! The ingredients listed below are for 4 servings, please adjust as needed.
Note: If you happen to end up with extra turkey mixture (because bell peppers are not all the same size, yours might be a little smaller than mine), store this filling in an airtight container and serve later, tossed in a mixed greens salad.
Ground turkey stuffed peppers
What do you need for this turkey stuffed peppers recipe?
For making this recipe I used a bunch of yummy and filling ingredients:
- bell peppers – I experimented with red, orange and green bell peppers and found the red ones are the most savory, followed by orange and green,
- ground turkey meat
- vegetable stock
- brown rice – you can substitute for white rice
- flavorful herbs and spices like garlic, caraway, ground cinnamon, dry mint, fresh orange zest and of course salt and pepper.
- golden raisins – to add more interest and flavor to the recipe
- I also used olive oil to cook the turkey which is always my preferred oil to cook with.
How do you make turkey stuffed bell peppers?
The cooking process was super easy and quick too. I cut the tops of the bell peppers, seeded and washed them well. I cooked the rice as instructed on the package so check yours for instructions too.
To roast the peppers I heated a large skillet and roasted them lightly, on high heat, on each side, while waiting for the rice to cook.
I then placed the peppers in a microwave dish, bottoms up, added water and covered with a lid. This recipe is super speedy because I microwaved the peppers until just a little tender but still holding their shape. After draining the water, I turned the peppers right side up, keeping them in the dish.
Then it was time to cook the turkey with garlic in olive oil. I did this in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat with a bamboo spatula. The turkey doesn’t need a lot of time to cook, just until no longer raw. I added raisins, caraway and cinnamon and cooked a little more. After stirring the cooked rice I cooked again for 1 more minute.
I remove everything from the heat and added some vegetable stock, mint, orange zest, salt and pepper. Using a spoon, I filled the peppers with the turkey mixture. Then I poured the rest of the vegetable stock into the microwave dish and covered. I microwaved again on high.
We served the peppers without the sauce, with low fat yogurt.
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
Moroccan style turkey stuffed bell peppers
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
- 4 medium large bell peppers
- 1 lbs ground turkey
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground caraway
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2½ cups low salt vegetable juice
- 2 teaspoons dry mint
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest grated
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground pepper
- microwave dish
- non stick pan
- Cut the tops of the bell peppers, seed and wash well
- Cook rice as instructed on the package.
- Meanwhile heat a large skillet and roast the peppers lightly, on high heat, about 1 minute on each side.
- Then place peppers in a microwave dish, bottoms up.
- Add ½" water to the dish and cover with a lid. Microwave on high until the peppers are just a little tender but still hold their shape, 3-5 minutes.
- Drain the water and turn the peppers right side up, keeping them in the dish.
- Meanwhile, cook turkey with garlic in olive oil, in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat with a bamboo spatula, until no longer raw, about 4 minutes.
- Add raisins, caraway and cinnamon and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the cooked rice and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from the heat and add ½ cup vegetable juice, mint, orange zest, salt and pepper.
- Using a spoon, fill the peppers with the turkey mixture.
- Pour the rest of the vegetable juice into the microwave dish and cover.
- Microwave on high about 4 minutes.
- Serve the peppers with or without the sauce and/or low fat yogurt.