Looking forward to a lazy Saturday morning? Make it even more glorious with a mouthwatering French Toast Egg Muffins breakfast that you can whip up in minutes!
French Toast Egg Muffins
No matter if you’re still an early bird on the weekends or can sleep until noon, there’s always time to breakfast. Or at least it should be! This simple and easy French Toast Muffins breakfast will soon become your favorite meal of the week.
I love making this for breakfast and eat it fresh but you can bring a couple of these to work too if you don’t make this a weekends recipe. You could make this recipe a little less messy by beating the eggs and mixing with the french toast and the cheese. Since I’m a visual person, I love how the muffins look the way I make them and to avoid the messiness, I eat them straight from the cups. I placed some aluminium muffin molds in my muffin tin before placing the ingredients in. It was easier to get the French Toast Egg Muffins out once baked and also convenient for eating.
These little muffins are not only fun and easy to make but also nutritious and a great way to get kids to actually enjoy breakfast especially if you have a picky eater as me. This is just a basic recipe, you could add any other ingredient that strikes your fancy. Next time I make these I’m going to add some veggies and I’ll probably make the french toast ahead, in my skillet, before adding it as a base in my muffins.
French Toast Egg Muffins Recipe
For the French toast:
For the muffins:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup smoked turkey ham, diced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- aluminium muffin liners
- muffin tin
- Preheat your oven to 400 F = 200 C.
- Prepare the French toast: Beat egg, vanilla and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Stir in milk. Dip diced bread in egg mixture and coat evenly. At this point you can cook the French toast in a skillet, on medium heat, until lightly browned or use raw as the base for your muffins. I used it raw.
- Lightly spray some cooking oil in 4-5 aluminium muffin liners then place these in a muffin tin. As seen in these photos, I double lined mine with regular paper liners but realized it’s pointless so feel free to skip that part.
- Spread the French toast (or the French toast mixture) evenly between your aluminium molds.
- Add a layer of turkey ham and a layer of mozzarella (you can cook the ham before using in this recipe, if you want it crispy).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes if you used the raw French toast mixture (if you pre cooked the French toast, skip to the next step).
- Crack an egg into each muffin and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the eggs are done (depends on how hard you want your yolk; less for a runny yolk, more for a cooked yolk)
- Serve your French toast egg muffins with a glass milk and fresh fruit. Enjoy!