Share the LOVE this Valentine’s day with these cute, easy to make and festive looking mini red velvet love cakes. Make perfect gifts for friends and family too!
Valentine Red velvet love cakes
I may not be crazy for Valentine’s Day but I do love all the goodies and sweets surrounding this cute holiday! I particularly love red and white desserts! To me, nothing speaks Valentine’s Day better than a red velvet cake, cupcake or cookie and these red velvet love cakes, in an adorable mini version fit the bill perfectly.
These little delights are so easy to make if you have some LOVE cookie cutters like any of these cuties here
I think the key to a good red velvet cake with a lovely color is in keeping the ingredients at room temperature and using the right food coloring. I think gel food coloring is the best so if you have it, use it! Fluffy and moist, these mini red velvet love cakes are my latest favorites!
Red Velvet Love Cakes recipe
- 2 1/2 cups Cake Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- white chocolate (1 large baking chocolate bar)
- dark chocolate flakes/sprinkles
- coconut flakes
- Love Cookie Cutters (you may need a few sets if you want to work faster)
- Preheat oven to 350 F = 175 C
- Butter two 9 inch = 23 cm round cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft about 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Whisk the heavy cream with the red food coloring.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and heavy cream mixture to the butter mixture, in small additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Combine the vinegar and baking powder. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven for approximately 25 – 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan.
- Once the cakes have completely cooled, place the cake layers in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour.
- Cut LOVE letters with the cookie cutters and place on a large plate. Don’t remove the mini cakes from the cookie cutters (that’s why is best to have a few sets on hand)
- Take each letter and lightly press the cakes down to make room for pouring the white chocolate
- Melt the white chocolate. Place the chocolate in a microwavable bowl, keep in the microwave on high temperature for 30 seconds, than in increments of 15 seconds until all chocolate is melted. Lightly stir in between sessions.
- Pour the chocolate over the cakes in the cookie cutters, sprinkle dark chocolate flakes/sprinkles and coconut flakes and place on a large plate.
- When all cookies are topped with chocolate, place the plate in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Gently press the cakes from the chocolate covered tops to remove from cookie cutters.