Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
These moist red velvet cake balls with coconut and white chocolate bits are festive, sweet and make a wonderful indulgent treat or gift! This recipe is perfect not only for Valentines but any holiday!
Red Velvet cake balls
I did not have any plans for this yummy red velvet cake balls recipe! But after making these adorable Valentine mini LOVE cakes I ended up with some left over cake which I wasn’t willing to throw away because 1: I worked hard for that cake and 2: it was too pretty to part ways with like that. I thought about something simple that won’t take more than a few minutes to make so red velvet cake balls with coconut and chocolate bits came to mind. Just like that! It’s magic, I tell ya’!
Other Valentine desserts you will love:
- Valentine heart mints
- Red velvet cake sandwich cookies
- Red velvet cake LOVE cookies
- No bake cake batter cake balls
I didn’t have the patience to make cake pops though; after baking for a few hours then taking photos for another hour, I just needed the simplest recipe ever. And these red velvet cake bites deliver! It literally took 5 minutes to make and they were so tasty I almost ate them all before having the chance to take any photos.
I made this red velvet cake balls recipe with red velvet cake but any cake recipe is good; you just need to add red food coloring if you want to, or just skip any food coloring and use the cake as is. I also added baking white chocolate, cut into small pieces but you can use your favorite chocolate, even milk or dark chocolate, there are no set rules.
After rolling these easy cake balls in coconut flakes I realized these would’ve made an awesome treat with a special flavor if I was gonna cover them in grounded nuts, like almonds or cashew. Well, there’s always a next time! Though if you give these options a try please let me know how they taste.
Red Velvet Cake Balls Recipe
This recipe makes about 12 medium small balls.
- Red velvet cake – I used this recipe here.
- Butter – Use unsalted and melt before using in this recipe.
- White chocolate – I used baking chocolate, cut into small chunks but chocolate chips will do the trick too.
- Coconut flakes – these are just for decor purposes but add lots of flavor to the recipe. You can substitute for crushed nuts, sprinkles, powdered sugar or even dip the balls in melted chocolate (white chocolate would make a great contrast).
How to make red velvet cake balls?
- Crumble the red velvet cake by hand or using a food processor.
- Add butter and mix to combine well.
- Add white chocolate and mix.
- Scoop out small balls with an ice cream scoop or a spoon and roll in your palms to make even balls.
- Roll through coconut flakes and decorate with cocktail sticks (optional but will make serving these little cake balls a lot easier and cleaner). If you like mine, these cocktail poker picks are very similar.
- Refrigerate for half an hour before serving
Red Velvet cake balls
- 2 cups red velvet cake recipe here
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chunks
- coconut flakes
- Crumble the red velvet cake by hand or using a food processor. Add butter and mix well so there are no dry spots. Add chocolate and mix well
- Scoop out small balls with an ice cream scoop or a teaspoon and roll in your palms to make even balls.
- Roll through coconut flakes (or grounded nuts or cover in chocolate). Refrigerate for half an hour before serving
Pin to save for later
Most popular recipes:
- Spiced herb roasted sweet potato wedges
- French cream puffs
- Buttermilk fried chicken
- 6 Ingredients taco soup