Homemade Drain Opener Ideas
Vinegar baking soda sewer and drain cleaning
- Make a cone out of paper or carton.
- Cut a whole at the bottom
- Place the cone at the drain opening
- Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain through the cone, making sure baking soda doesn’t get caught, clogging the drain at the opening
- Remove the cone
- Quickly pour 1 cup of vinegar and cover the drain immediately as the mixture will bubble and tend to come out the drain. You need it to work inside the drain not out.
- Leave to work for 30 minutes. The resultant chemical reaction will break down fatty acids into harmless soap and glycerin that can be washed down the drain.
- Meanwhile heat a few gallons of water but don’t bring to a boil
- After 30 minutes pour down the drain and leave to cool without pouring cold water for 30 minutes
Do not use this method after trying a commercial drain opener as the vinegar can react with the drain opener to create dangerous fumes.
Lemon juice natural drain unclogger for light cleaning
- Squeeze the juice of 20 lemons
- Heat but not to a boil
- Pour down the drain and leave for at least 30 minutes
- Heat water and pour down the drain after 30 minutes
Non toxic drain cleaner with salt for strong cleaning
- Mix 2 cups coarse (kosher) salt with 1 gallon water
- Heat but don’t bring to a boil
- Pour down the drain and leave to work for 30 minutes
- You may follow with the lemon juice drain cleaner if there are dirty traces left.
Caution: Plastic pipes can melt if excess boiling water is used.