These soft, buttery, sugar dusted, jam packed Strawberry Linzer Cookies are perfect for weeknight desserts or on a holiday table!
Strawberry Linzer Cookies
Original Linzer cookies are almond shortbread cookies sandwiched together with raspberry jam in the center and dusted with powdered sugar. I decided to make Strawberry Linzer Cookies instead because I love strawberries! (and I also had homemade strawberry jam in my pantry!).
These cookies are really simple and easy to make although some people might find assembling them takes a bit of work. These beautiful cookies are perfect for holidays and can be made in all sort of shapes to match that particular holiday you’re celebrating. These soft cookies will melt in your mouth and while they make a great impression on a festive table I wouldn’t mind pairing one or two with my cup of tea or coffee every once in a while.
I find these Strawberry Linzer Cookies taste best after a day (if you can wait that long!) as the middle becomes a little bit chewy, making it a perfect match to the soft biscuit. Delicate, soft and irresistible, these will be your go to cookies for every holiday!
Strawberry Linzer Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons strawberry jam (you might need more)
- powdered sugar
- 2″ rectangular cookie cutter with fluted edges
- 1″ rectangular cookie cutter with fluted edges
- 2 non stick baking sheets
- Combine 1/2 cup flour with almonds in a food processor; process until finely ground.
- Combine almond mixture, remaining flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, stirring well with a whisk.
- Place granulated sugar, butter, and lemon rind in a large bowl; beat with a hand mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add egg yolks; beat until well blended.
- Beat at low speed and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto plastic wrap; knead lightly until smooth.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions; wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F = 175 C.
- Flour a working surface and roll each dough portion into a 1/8″ thickness.
- Cut with a 2″ rectangular cookie cutter with fluted edges to form 36 cookies.
- Repeat with remaining dough portion.
- Use a 1″ rectangular fluted cutter to remove centers of 36 of the rectangles.
- Arrange 1″ apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake, 1 batch at a time, at 350 F = 175 C for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool on pans 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
- When completely cooled, spread center of each whole cookie with about 1/2 teaspoon strawberry jam.
- Place 1 cutout cookie on top of each whole cookie.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.