If you’re looking for amazing, mouthwatering, comfort food that’s also healthy these twice baked chicken sweet potatoes are your best bet!
Twice Baked Chicken Sweet Potatoes
I’m going through a sweet potatoes phase, I just can’t seem to have enough of them! They’re so delicious and filling and sooo easy and quick to make. And I bet you would love these twice baked chicken sweet potatoes too, especially if you love all things chicken or cheesy as we do!
If you’re getting tired or bored of your old chicken recipes (or sweet potatoes for that matter), this twice baked chicken sweet potatoes recipe is an easy, delicious twist, just like party in your mouth! Makes a great family dinner idea that looks scrumptious, takes little time to prepare and is pretty healthy too, without sacrificing the comfort food value.
Stuffed with lots of veggies and flavored with your favorite herbs, these simple twice baked chicken sweet potatoes are a sneaky but totally worth it way to trick your kids into eating more veggies. Because what kid will turn down gooey cheese and chicken?
We used our favorite veggies like onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, peas and zucchini, flavored our sweet potatoes with dry thyme and drizzled lime juice for additional lip-smacking flavor. Use your favorite ingredients and add as much cheese as you like and this versatile recipe will take you about 20 minutes to make but will disappear from your table in a matter of seconds.
Twice Baked Chicken Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 3 whole medium large sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed thoroughly
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 9 oz = 250 g cooked chicken breast, cut into small cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup zucchini, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- juice from 1 lime
- extra lime wedges to serve
You will also need:
- paper towels
- mixing bowl
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- cooking spray
- Pre heat the oven to 430F = 220 C
- Dry sweet potatoes and wrap in paper towel. Microwave on your highest setting for 10 minutes. Remove carefully from microwave and unwrap (careful of the steam). Pierce all over with a fork, wrap again and microwave for a further 15 minutes until soft (don’t worry if the center is still a little hard, it will continue to cook in the oven later).
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, add a small amount of oil to the skillet; add the onions and saute over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, until glassy.
- Add the chicken and the veggies and cook until slightly soft. Add garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add in the paprika and thyme and continue cooking until chicken is nicely coated in the seasonings.
- Take off heat and set aside.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the microwave and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes (but not until they’re completely cold). Carefully slice them in half.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving a little flesh around the inside of the skin. Transfer the flesh to a mixing bowl and set the skins aside.
- Add the chicken mixture to the flesh in the bowl and mix it through until completely combined.
- Stir in the lime juice.
- Prepare a baking tray by lining with parchment paper and lightly greasing with cooking spray.
- Arrange the skins on the baking sheet, and stuff them with the chicken sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and put them in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melting. For crispier top, keep longer, until the cheese becomes golden.
- Serve with lime wedges and favorite salsa dip.