Looking for easy, cute and inexpensive Valentine decorations for the home? This valentine’s day wreath is perfect to make your home a little more festive.
DIY Valentine Wreath
It seems I’m in full Valentine’s Day mode, crafting and baking/cooking like it’s nobody’s business! And today I’ve got a fabulous project! An adorable valentine’s day wreath, made with such simple materials you most likely already have on hand.
This valentine’s day wreath is a great project to use up some of those fabric scraps you keep pilling up! And an excellent way for the beginner crafter to put their skills to a good (and pretty) use.
To make these valentines day door decorations, I used scraps of fleece, both white and red, tulle, burlap fabric, satin and a small piece of ribbon I had no use for anymore because it was too small. You can of course use any other types of fabric, depending on your fabric scraps stash.
I also found a good use for some polystyrene that’s been screaming for attention for about a year now. I had no idea I have this but just cleaned the attic and found this little gem hiding under a pile of wire (which will have to be put to work too, soon). If you don’t have any, you can make this valentines day decoration using a Styrofoam ring, which is much neater and cleaner btw. But you know me, I’m cheap..err…savvy! I’m savvy, the word is savvy, not cheap!
I cut and stitched all the hearts and flowers by hand as I wanted my valentine’s day wreath to really look handmade. And I also wanted to give it a rustic look which was completed by the burlap fabric. Then I used pins instead of a glue gun to attach the burlap, tulle, hearts and flowers to the base because I wanted to be able to take these down and reuse when the Valentines is over. Savvy, I told you! I really, really loved working on this burlap valentine wreath and I think the end result is super cute!
Get FREE access to my entire resource library!
Signup for updates on new articles, products & special offers and get access to my entire resource library!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Valentine’s Day Wreath
- polystyrene (or Styrofoam circle)
- Burlap fabric
- Tulle fabric
- Red Fleece
- White fleece
- Pink satin
- Red and white thread
- 1 large and 1 medium plate or bowl
- Cutting tool
- Start by placing the large bowl or plate on the polystyrene and cut all the way around with a razor knife.
- On the resulting circle, place the medium bowl and cut all the way around.
- Take your burlap fabric and fold it in 4 to form a long strip of fabric. You may need to use 2 strips.
- Pin one end to the back of your polystyrene circle and start wrapping the fabric around the circle. When done, pin into place.
- Cut 6 hearts from the red and 6 from the white fleece for the back and front of the hearts (so you’ll have 3 red and 3 white hearts); fill with fabric scraps or polyfill and stitch the edges by hand, using contrast thread (red for the white hearts, white for the red hearts).
- Make the fabric flowers. Cut 2 circles from the pink satin and stitch all the way around the edges of each then gather to the center and stitch to the back. Stitch a button in the center where the raw edges gather.
- Take the tulle and randomly gather it on the lower left hand side of the wreath, pinning into place as you go. Gather in small batches. Leave a longer strip not gathered at the base to just hang.
- Place 5 of the hearts wherever you want them, over the gathered tulle and pin
- Pin the extra heart and the 2 satin flowers to the opposite side.
- Make a large loop from the ribbon, to hang on a wall or your front door.
Similar posts you might like
Most popular craft