These Easy French Cream Puffs are sure to wow your guests at any party! Delicate and airy, these delicious desserts are the perfect way to indulge!
Easy French Cream Puffs
These Easy French Cream Puffs are so adorable and I had so much fun making them (and even more eating them lol). It may be my European roots but I love anything French and of course pastry and these little gems have been on my list for a long time. I love watching these baking in the oven, puffing up in the heat, all crackly and full of air!
The Choux a la creme dessert is undoubtedly considered the “king of desserts”. I must confess that at first I found it difficult to make them, they looked intimidating to me. Over time I’ve tried a few cream puffs recipes to get the absolutely perfect recipe.
Easy French Cream Puffs Recipe
For the pastry:
- 8 oz = 250 ml water
- 8 oz 250 ml milk
- 7 oz = 200 grams butter
- 13 oz = 375 g flour, sifted
- a pinch of salt
- 9 eggs
For the filling:
- 34 oz = 1 liter milk
- 16 egg yolks
- 4 sticks vanilla
- 9 oz = 250 g sugar
- 4 oz = 120 g flour, sifted
- 1 spoon butter
For the whipped cream
- 1 1/2 heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Powdered sugar to dust
You’re also going to need:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and pre heat oven at 390 F = 200 C.
- Warm up the milk and turn off heat.
- Add the seeds from the vanilla sticks and cover with a lid.
- In a medium large pot add water, milk (the one without vanilla), butter and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and turn off heat.
- Immediately add flour and mix well with a whisk until well combined.
- Allow the dough to cool a little then add eggs, one by one, mixing well after each egg is added until fully incorporated. You need the composition to resemble chewing gum and be a bit sticky. If not add one more egg.
- Transfer the dough to a large pastry bag fitted with a flower tip. Pipe rounds onto each prepared pan and do a little swirl for a more spectacular result. If you don’t have a flower tip: with a spoon, drop a dollop of dough (about the size of a walnut) in the baking sheet but not very close to each other (about 2″ apart).
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Do not open the oven for the first 15 minutes.
- When all dough is done, let the puffs cool and cut in half, horizontally.
- For the filling: Take the 16 yolks and mix with sugar and flour and beat well then add the vanilla infused milk little by little. Move to a saucepan and boil while stirring continuously with a whisk until stiff. Remove from heat and add butter. Then make the whipped cream as I did here.
- Fill the puffs with vanilla cream and whipped cream and I dust with powdered sugar.
Loved this? Sign up to my newsletter and get all the latest goodness right in your inbox!