These lovely french cream puffs are sure to wow your guests at any party! Delicate and airy, these delicious desserts, originally called choux a la creme, are the perfect way to indulge!
Choux A La Creme Recipe
These french cream puffs are so adorable and I had so much fun making them (and even more eating them, lol). It may be my European roots but I love anything French and of course pastry and this french cream puffs recipe has been on my list for a long time. I love watching these baking in the oven, puffing up in the heat, all crackly and full of air!
This french cream puffs dessert is undoubtedly considered the “king of desserts”. I must confess that at first I found this otherwise easy cream puff recipe quite difficult to make; these puffs looked intimidating to me. But I’ve tried a few recipes for french cream puffs to get the absolutely perfect recipe.
French Cream Puffs
For the pastry:
- 8 oz = 250 ml water
- 8 oz 250 ml milk
- 7 oz = 200 grams butter
- 13 oz = 375 g flour, sifted
- a pinch of salt
- 9 eggs
For the filling:
- 34 oz = 1 liter milk
- 16 egg yolks
- 4 sticks vanilla
- 9 oz = 250 g sugar
- 4 oz = 120 g flour, sifted
- 1 spoon butter
For the whipped cream
- 1 1/2 heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Powdered sugar to dust
You’re also going to need:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pre heat oven at 390 F = 200 C.
- Warm up the milk and turn off heat.
- Add the seeds from the vanilla sticks and cover with a lid.
- In a medium large pot add water, milk (the one without vanilla), butter and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and turn off heat.
- Immediately add flour and mix well with a whisk until well combined.
- Allow the dough to cool a little then add eggs, one by one, mixing well after each egg is added until fully incorporated. You need the composition to resemble chewing gum and be a bit sticky. If not add one more egg.
- Transfer the dough to a large pastry bag fitted with a flower tip. Pipe rounds onto each prepared pan and do a little swirl for a more spectacular result. If you don’t have a flower tip: with a spoon, drop a dollop of dough (about the size of a walnut) in the baking sheet but not very close to each other (about 2″ apart).
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Do not open the oven for the first 15 minutes.
- When all dough is done, let the puffs cool and cut in half, horizontally.
- For the filling: Take the 16 yolks and mix with sugar and flour and beat well then add the vanilla infused milk little by little. Move to a saucepan and boil while stirring continuously with a whisk until stiff. Remove from heat and add butter. Then make the whipped cream as I did here.
- Fill the puffs with vanilla cream and whipped cream and I dust with powdered sugar.
GET MORE INSPIRATION HERE >> FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST