Hosting a kids birthday party or dress-up soon? Make the little girls happy with this DIY Lace Crown tutorial! A must for every princess, these crowns are fun and simple to make!
DIY Lace Crown
Like every other girl, my little munchkin loves anything princess, from dresses to crowns and tiaras. Her old crown is broken after we ran into an unfortunate accident during our travels and since mommy wants to see her happy, decided to male a DIY lace crown. Because what’s more fun than making your own crown?
While this tutorial is not super quick, it’s something you can make in about 3-4 hours and the result is simply stunning! And I’m not even going to mention how high you’re gonna score in your little princess’ book! She’ll fall head over heels for this DIY lace crown!
These are also great for kids parties or dress ups! And you can customize them with your choice of lace and paint color, by adding glitter, pearls, rhinestones etc whatever you need to truly make this project yours! Every little girl dreams to be a princess, even for a day so why not make her dreams come true?
DIY Lace Crown Tutorial
- crocheted lace (similar here)
- fabric stiffener, liquid and spray
- 3 small bowls
- tacky glue
- thin butter knife
- Paint Spray in color of choice
- clear paint spray
- rubber gloves
- mini hot glue gun
- jewelry, rhinestones, pearls etc
- I used crocheted lace as it gives the sturdiest results and I was also more confident to use it in the microwave. Place lace in a small bowl and cover in fabric stiffener; soak for 15 minutes.
- Remove lace from the bowl, allowing the excess to gently drip back in to the bowl.
- Wrap the wet lace around the rim of the other 2 small bowls, allowing it to hang. Use a spot of tacky glue to hold the overlapping ends.
- Put the bowls in the microwave, one at a time and microwave on high power for 30 seconds. You may hear some crackling in the initial phases. Just watch the microwave all the time. Continue to microwave in 30 second increments, until the lace is dry to the touch. You may turn the bowl bottoms up past this step.
- Once dry, completely spray the crown with more stiffener and return to microwave. Microwave in increments of 15 to 30 seconds until completely dry. I also wanted to fold the edges a bit and I did this after the first spraying session. I just lightly sprayed on the first session, folded the edges and microwaved.
- Repeat the spraying/microwaving stuff until you’re happy with the level of stiffness. I did 8 steps.
- Remove crowns from bowls, put rubber gloves on and spray paint in color of choice, on both sides. If some of the stiffener has closed up some of the holes in the lace, clean it out with the end of a pin. Apply several coats of paint; the crowns will stiffen even more.
- On the last coat, do a clear paint coat then immediately apply glitter of choice.
- Wait for the paint to completely dry before moving to the next step. Do not dry in the microwave!!
- When crowns are dry, attach some glitz with a hot glue gun.
- And you’re done! Isn’t your DIY lace crown so adorable?