This microwave playdough is so easy to make and a great, fun project for kids! Very different from store bought play dough, made with safer and healthier ingredients.
Microwave Playdough Recipe
My little munchkin girl and my niece love playing with play dough (what kid doesn’t?) and we go through play dough like it’s nobody’s business! But I was always worried the store bought ones might not be as taste safe as we think and hope it would be. So I thought I should give it a try and see if I can come up with an easy homemade microwave playdough version, using ingredients that are safe for tasting.
Turns out we found a super easy way to make playdough and we also so much fun making it! The girls were thrilled to say the least. They kissed and hugged me a million times, as if I gave them the most expensive gift ever! You can tell these girls LOVE their play dough!
This microwave playdough version is really easy and simple and makes a big batch in just a few minutes. And if you are like me, you’ll love it that it doesn’t use cream of tartar (I hate cream of tartar!). If you’ve never tried making play dough at home, now it’s the time! You get to choose the colors your kids love and need, with ingredients you most likely have in your pantry. And the bonus part is you can get the kids to help you so you’ll have a great time bonding over something fun.
I personally love this easy homemade playdough a lot more than the store bought version! We found it’s more pliable and have deeper colors (except for the “yellow” one which sucks! because of my food coloring) and I will never go back to buying play dough again. The red one turned out better than the pink and yellow as I decided to experiment and add a bit more oil, just a drop more than in the recipe.
- one cup water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 30 drops food coloring
- 24 drops of lemon juice, filtered through a fine sieve
- 1/3 cup fine salt
- 1 cup flour
- microwave safe bowl
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix water, oil and food coloring and stir with a whisk.
- Add lemon juice and stir again.
- Pour salt and stir.
- Gradually add flour while stirring to prevent lumps.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds, remove bowl from microwave and stir.
- Put back in the microwave for another 30 seconds then stir.
- Place in microwave again for 30 seconds and stir.
- Microwave a fourth time for 30 seconds and stir.
- It should now be in a ball.
- Let sit for a few minutes to be cool enough so you can handle it with your hands.
- Remove from bowl and put the play dough ball on a plate, covered in plastic wrap to cool completely.
- Wrap cooled play dough in the plastic wrap and store at room temperature. If stored properly it should last a long time. We’ve made ours a few weeks back and it’s still good to use. The girls take really good care of it.