Need a little help to keep all your pens, markers and pencils organized? This DIY pen organizer is a great project to make with recycled toilet paper tubes.
How to make a pencil holder out of recycled materials
Ever wondered how to make a pencil holder out of paper tubes? It’s easy peasy and super fun! I love making stuff out of things we normally throw away, like the humble toilet paper tubes. They’re great for all kinds of projects and this DIY pen organizer is just another proof. And it’s also a great opportunity to make something fun with kids! As you may know I’ve done other toilet paper rolls projects and I absolutely loved making each and everyone of them! Check them out here.
Need more recycled ideas?
- Recycled snack box with zipper
- DIY succulent planter box
- Cork frame with recycled wine corks
- Recycled tin can flower pots
- DIY sweater slipper boots
- Phone holder with tp rolls
My daughter and I have been traveling for a while with my husband, on his cruise ship. And since Ellie likes to collect all kinds of coloring books and crayons and markers (and the list could go on forever), the cabin started to look a bit crowded, to say the least. Ellie is not very good at keeping things organized so I found myself stepping on a pen or marker a few good times (as in a gazillion times!).
We didn’t have any pencil organizers around here so that’s been her excuse for a while. But then I realized I can solve the problem AND make something really cute if I save a few toilet paper tubes and make an organizer. And this is how this pretty and easy DIY pen organizer got born. I think this toilet paper roll organizer looks really nice, bright and cheerful, a little spot of color in that teeny tiny cabin of ours that can feel dark and unwelcoming at times.
And before you say “Eww, toilet paper tubes? Really?” just think about it for a minute. How often do you actually touch those tubes with dirty, poopy hands? Umm, like…never? That’s right, this toilet roll pencil holder is as safe as it gets. But if you’re a real big germophobic you can always use the tubes from your kitchen paper towels instead. Problem solved, now go make yourself a pretty DIY pen organizer!
DIY pen organizer
- toilet paper tubes (I used 7)
- Cereal box
- Craft scissors
- Tissue Paper
- Matte Mod Podge
- Foam Brush
- Super Glue
- Scotch glue stick
- Scotch Washi Tape
- Take your cereal box and cut one side out. Draw a stand on it, in the shape you like. I made an island because it looks cute but it’s very hard to finish the edges off with washi tape so if you don’t want to deal with the hustle, draw a rectangular shape.
- Measure tissue paper to cover the island and glue down to the blank side of the island, using a glue stick. You may need a couple of layers of tissue paper. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge and leave to dry.
- Cut your toilet paper tubes the length you want them to be (I cut various sizes) then cut strips of toilet paper a little wider than the tubes and long enough to cover the tubes 3-4 times.
- Apply glue to the tissue paper using a glue stick and attach to the tubes, applying more glue as you roll.
- Leave them all to dry, then trim the edges.
- Finish off the edges (on the island and the tubes) using washi tape.
- Place the tubes on the island and arrange as you like, then glue down with super glue, pressing for at least 10 seconds on each tube, until the super glue dries out.
- Your toilet paper roll organizer is done! Now go fill this handy dandy pen holder craft with pens, pencils or markers to decorate your desk and keep it organized and pretty!
Pin to save for later
Similar posts you might like:
- DIY binoculars
- Duct tape organizer
- Mini gift boxes
- Paper flowers kids craft
- Homemade playdough
- Wine cork coasters
- Hot glue decorative bowl