Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Have you been craving Korean food? Instant Pot Korean Beef is a simple homestyle recipe that doesn’t take much time to make and tastes amazing. It’s an easy Instant Pot meal the whole family will love!
Instant pot Korean Beef
This Instant Pot Korean Beef recipe takes about 30 minutes to cook. It’s a simple meal that doesn’t take much time to make and tastes amazing! You don’t have to go out for Korean beef anymore because it is just as good at home!
I’ve been craving some good, old-fashioned comfort food lately. I’m not even sure why but one thing that has caught my attention is kalbi or “Korean BBQ.” It’s not a dish I grew up on, but it’s been on my mind for a while now. When I finally decided to make Instant Pot Korean ground beef, the whole family loved it and was asking me when we could have some more!
This Instant Pot Korean beef recipe will have your mouth watering in no time. With a sweet, savory and spicy flavor profile this dish is perfect for any summer cookout or dinner party! This delicious recipe is so easy to make! It’s a healthy, one pot meal that you can have on the table in about 35 minutes.
More beef recipes you will love:
- Ground beef potato stew
- Tortellini soup with ground beef
- Pasta Farfalle with ground beef
- Cheesy baked spaghetti
What is Korean beef?
Korean beef is a type of grilled meat, made from marinated and chopped pieces of sirloin. This traditional dish can be found at many Korean restaurants that specialize in barbecue as well as on the menus of chain restaurants worldwide.
In addition to being served as a main dish, kalbi may also be used for making other dishes such as “bibimbap” or “bulgogi,” and as a part of the Korean dish, “kimbap.”
Variations to Korean Beef
In Korea, there are a lot of variations. One example is Bulgogi which is made from thinly sliced ribeye or other well-marbled beef that has been marinated in soy sauce and sesame oil for hours before cooking. Another variation is Kalbi which mainly consists of Lechon, the thin strips of pork butt, which are then grilled and brushed with a sauce made from Korean pear or apple juice. This particular recipe calls for ground beef instead of sliced meat.
Both Bulgogi and Kalbi can be served in BBQ form. This is done by placing the meat on hot coal over an open flame grill to cook it quickly before serving it.
Another variation includes Bulgogi Jeongsik which is an assortment of small side dishes such as seasoned seaweed soup and pan-fried dumplings. One version includes the addition of tofu to make Tofu Jeongsik.
Finally, there is Galbi Tang which are Korean beef ribs that can be boiled or braised and served with green onion over rice.
How to make Instant Pot Korean Beef
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yields: 2 servings
Korean Ground Beef Ingredients:
- Ground beef
- minced Garlic
- Ginger paste
- Yellow onion diced
- Soy sauce, low sodium
- Brown sugar
- Red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- Everything bagel seasoning
- pressure cooker
- mixing bowl
Cooking Directions for this Korean beef and rice:
1. In a mixing bowl, combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, and red pepper. Set aside.
2. Set the instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the ground beef to brown it off. Once the meat is browned, add the onion.
3. Add 1 cup of water, and place 1 cup of rice in a pan on a trivet. Seal the lid and pressure valve and cook on high for 8 minutes.
4. Release pressure and remove the rice
5. Return the instant pot to sauté and add the sauce.
6. Cook the beef in the sauce for 10-15 minutes until the sauce is reduced to a glaze on the beef.
7. Serve beef over the rice and garnish with everything bagel seasoning and green onion.
8. For a keto-friendly dish, serve in lettuce boats
What to Serve with this dish?
With this Instant Pot Korean Ground Beef recipe, you can serve it as a main dish or eat it over rice. Here are some suggestions for serving sides to go with the beef:
- Brown Rice Pilaf
- Quinoa Salad with Cucumbers and Tomatoes
- Sesame Bok Choy
- Korean Style Cucumber Kimchi
If you’re not a fan of rice, here are some other ideas for serving sides:
- Sauteed baby Bok choy
- Crispy Korean Sweet Potato Hash with Ginger Scallion Oil
- Kimchi Vegetable Soup
Why is Korean food considered healthy?
Korean food is considered healthy because it includes ingredients like vegetables, seaweed, and kimchi. These foods are low in calories and high in fiber which makes them a great option for weight loss or maintaining your current health.
Some Korean dishes also contain less sugar than Westernized counterparts such as hamburgers, so they provide you with a healthier and cleaner feeling.
Korean dishes also tend to be less greasy and high in sodium, which is a good thing for those who are looking for a healthier lifestyle but can’t give up the taste of their favorite foods.
Lastly, Korean food includes ingredients that have been shown to reduce inflammation such as omega-rich fish or seaweed.
Benefits of cooking with an Instant Pot
The Instant Pot simplifies your life by combining several different food preparation tasks that typically require a stovetop, oven, or microwave into one pot. The Instant Pot eliminates the need to use oils (or butter) as it can brown and Sautee food in its own sealed environment without any added fats. This appliance is also dishwasher safe which means you don’t have to do the dishes before cooking dinner.
It’s not just a pressure cooker. The Instant Pot works as a steamer, slow cooker, and pressure cooker all in one appliance. You can make rice without having to use the microwave which often leads to soggy food.
Tips and tricks for making great food in your Instant Pot
The most important thing to remember when cooking with an Instant Pot is that you need liquid. You can’t cook food without it, and the easier way to incorporate water into your recipe is by using a broth or canned goods such as tomatoes.
If you are not browning meat first, make sure there’s enough liquid in your pot.
If you are using frozen meat, wait until the Instant Pot is full before turning it on to avoid liquid being flung out of the pot.
Korean BBQ is one of my favorite foods, but it can be a bit time-consuming to prepare. This recipe for Instant Pot Korean Ground Beef is so quick and easy! Plus, the sauce has an addictive sweet and tangy flavor that I just love. The beef tastes even better when served with rice or kimchi on the side. Give this recipe a try if you’re looking for something new to whip up in your pressure cooker tonight!
Other Instant pot recipes you might like:
This Korean beef in the Instant Pot is a great meal for busy weeknights or any day you want an amazing dinner on the table fast. It takes only minutes to prepare and tastes like it was slow cooked all day long. Serve over rice with extra gochujang sauce for dipping if desired. Enjoy!
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
Instant pot Korean beef
- In a mixing bowl, combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, and red pepper. Set aside.
- Set the instant pot to sauté and add the oil. Once oil is hot, add the ground beef to brown it off. Once meat is browned, add the onion.
- Add 1 cup of water, and place 1 cup of rice in a pan on a trivet. Seal the lid and pressure valve and cook on high for 8 minutes. Release pressure and remove the rice.
- Return the instant pot to sauté and add the sauce. Cook the beef in the sauce for 10-15 minutes until sauce is reduced to a glaze on the beef.
- Serve beef over the rice and garnish with everything bagel seasoning and green onion.