Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
You will fall in love with this blueberry french toast casserole and so do your guests! You can prepare it the night before and just pop it in the oven in the morning. Made with cream cheese, this blueberry french toast is so creamy and full of blueberry flavor and just the perfect breakfast for holidays!
Blueberry french toast bake
This mouthwatering blueberry french toast casserole is such a great way to start your day! Even better because you can make it ahead of time! Packed with French toast flavor without all the early-morning work, this simple blueberry breakfast casserole is a great option on a busy morning.
Whether you’re looking for a delicious brunch recipe or a yummy breakfast for Christmas morning, you’re going to love this blueberry French toast casserole with cream cheese and lemon.
Other breakfast ideas you will love:
- Sausage breakfast casserole
- Lemon raspberry cake with buttermilk
- Blueberry buttermilk cake
- Pumpkin french toast with cinnamon sugar topping
- Apple crepes with caramel sauce
- Apple pie cups in puff pastry
- Strawberry cream cheese braid
What’s Best Bread for blueberry French Toast?
French toast casserole is all about the bread. Luckily, there are a variety of great breads you can use to make French toast – Texas toast, French bread, Italian bread, or brioche. But the thing all these breads have in common is that they’re thick and sturdy. You’ll need a nice thick bread to soak up the delicious egg custard without getting soggy and falling apart!
So, when you’re searching for a good bread for your French toast casserole, look for a crusty bread with a thick inside to avoid eating a soggy blueberry french toast casserole in the morning.
How to Prep Your Bread for French Toast Casserole
Another simple way to make sure your casserole doesn’t get soggy is to use day old bread. And one of the best parts about this is that you can usually find day-old bread at your grocery store at a discount price! But if your store is out of day-old bread or you just happen to have a fresh loaf at home, don’t worry! You can prep your fresh bread by letting it rest on the counter without a wrapper overnight. This will give the bread a chance to harden a little bit, ensuring it doesn’t get too soggy while it soaks up the custard.
How to Make Ahead your blueberry cream cheese french toast casserole
The beauty of this simple French toast breakfast is that it can be made ahead or made in the morning. If you’re planning on making and eating this casserole right now, scroll down to the recipe to get started! But if you’d rather make this breakfast casserole ahead of time, simply make the casserole according to the recipe instructions. Instead of covering the casserole and placing it in the oven, cover it and place it in the fridge. When you’re ready to prepare your French toast casserole, remove the casserole from the refrigerator and allow it to rest on the counter while your oven preheats.
Blueberry French Toast Casserole
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
To make your Blueberry French Toast Casserole you’ll need a loaf Italian or French bread, eggs, milk, lemon, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, frozen blueberries and cream cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by greasing with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Set aside. Spread half the cubed bread over the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half the egg mixture, half the blueberries, and half the cubed cream cheese. Spread the remaining cubed bread in the baking dish. Top with remaining eggs, blueberries and cream cheese.
Cover and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Then, remove the cover and bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes, until the bread has browned. Remove from oven and spread the melted cream cheese over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top of casserole before serving.
Print the recipe
Blueberry French toast casserole
- 1 large loaf Italian or French bread cut into one-inch pieces
- 8 eggs
- 2 ½ cups milk
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries tossed with 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 ounces cream cheese cubed
- Powdered sugar for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by greasing with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Set aside.
- Spread half the cubed bread over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with half the egg mixture, half the blueberries, and half the cubed cream cheese.
- Spread the remaining cubed bread in the baking dish.
- Top with remaining eggs, blueberries and cream cheese.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Then, remove the cover and bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes, until the bread has browned.
- Remove from oven and spread the melted cream cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top of casserole before serving.
Pin to save for later