Light and fluffy blueberry breakfast cake, a lip-smaking way to start your day or a melt in your mouth snack to nibble on when the sweet cravings hit!
Blueberry Buttermilk Cake
Do you ever wake up craving cake for breakfast? No, just me? Than you’re in the wrong place, my friend. Cause only crazies like me can totally understand how gulping down about half of this insanely delicious blueberry breakfast cake at breakfast is simply the right thing to do!
Want more cake ideas?
I love the addition of fresh blueberries in this yummilicious blueberry cake recipe, so summery and refreshing! But the buttermilk is pure magic, I tell ya’! No other ingredient makes a cake this fluff and airy, just like a puffy, ful of amazing flavors cloud!
And have you ever tried mixing blueberries, coconut flakes, lemon and orange zest? Ah-mazing!! This blueberry breakfast cake is packed full of flavors and is literally melting in your mouth from the very first bite to the last (that’s when you’ll basically start crying then head back to the kitchen to make more of this heavenly blueberry cake!)
This easy blueberry cake is my newest addiction and I think it pairs perfectly with my morning coffee or a glass of milk. Great summer breakfast recipe that could easily pass as a dessert too (or both, I wont judge!). Just make this once and you’ll want to make this recipe over and over again, I promise!
Blueberry Breakfast Cake
To make my yummy blueberry breakfast cake I used unsalted butter, dry lemon and orange zest, powdered sugar, egg, vanilla extract, cake flour (I also set aside some flour to toss with blueberries. Other ingredients were baking powder, salt, coconut flakes (which I find the perfect match to the blueberries) and of course, buttermilk. I used fresh and firm blueberries but frozen can be used too.
I preheated the oven then creamed the room temperature butter with powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Then I added in the orange and lemon zest, the egg and vanilla extract and coconut flakes. I tossed the blueberries with flour, then whisked together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt. The blueberries need a gentle fold, especially if fresh blueberries are used.
I spread the batter into the pan and sprinkled with sugar. After baking, I left the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
Get FREE access to my entire resource library!
Signup for updates on new articles, products & special offers and get access to my entire resource library!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- zest from 1 lemon
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour set aside 3 tbsp to toss with blueberries
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 2 cups fresh and firm blueberries
- ½ cup buttermilk
- sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Cream butter with powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Cream thoroughly, this is an important to make your cake fluffy. Add in the orange and lemon zest and mix until incorporated.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add coconut flakes and mix until combined.
- Toss the blueberries with flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with buttermilk. This is also important to get that heavenly fluffiness.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Grease a 9" square casserole with butter.
- Spread batter into pan and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick. You may need to bake for extra 10 minutes is necessary.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. It may crumble (in which case serve using a teaspoon as I did) so you might wanna cool completely before cutting and serving.