Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
French toast is a delicious breakfast option no matter the season. But when you add pumpkin to the mix, it becomes a must-have fall treat. And when you add a delicious cinnamon sugar coating on your oven baked French toast, you’ll want to enjoy this delicious pumpkin French toast every breakfast!
Pumpkin spice French toast
Pumpkin is such a versatile flavor – it tastes great in both sweet and savory dishes. But what I love most about pumpkin is how easy it is to incorporate into your favorite recipes. And this easy pumpkin French toast recipe is no exception! Simply add a little bit of pumpkin and some spices to traditional French toast to instantly have a delicious breakfast packed with fall flavor.
The first step to making your pumpkin French toast recipe is to preheat. Start by heating up your griddle or skillet because you need to start with hot cooking surface to make the best pumpkin French toast! And since we’re going to finish off this pumpkin pie French toast in the oven, you’ll also need to preheat the oven for baking.
Next, whip up your pumpkin custard by combining eggs, pumpkin, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon in a large, shallow dish. A baking dish is a great choice because it will easily hold all your ingredients while also giving you plenty of room for dipping your bread slices into the mixture.
More fall recipes you will love:
- Apple crepes with caramel sauce
- Pumpkin cream cheese bread
- Taco stuffed sweet potatoes
- Stuffed butternut squash
- Pumpkin cake with lemon cheese frosting
- Cranberry pound cake with orange zest
- Pumpkin chocolate chips bread
- Italian Panettone cake
Dip each bread slice in the egg mixture until each side is completely coated, then place the coated bread on your hot skillet. Cook each side until golden brown. I loved using Texas toast for my pumpkin French toast, but there are a variety of bread types you could choose from – brioche, French, challah, sourdough, and potato bread are all great options. Whichever bread type you choose, remember that thick-sliced bread is great for French toast because it soaks up the custard without getting soggy.
While your pumpkin French toast slices are cooking, mix your cinnamon and sugar together on a small plate. As you remove the cooked toast slices from the skillet, dip each side of the slice into the cinnamon sugar mixture and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
When your baking sheet is full, place it in the oven for 10 minutes. On top of creating a nice, crispy crust on the outside of your French toast, baking the toast after frying it will also help melt the sugars a bit, creating a delicious syrup on top of each slice.
When the French toast slices are nice and crisp with a beautiful syrup on top, remove them from the oven and serve immediately. These pumpkin French toast slices are great on their own, but you could also top them with more cinnamon sugar, whipped cream, or maple syrup for a delicious fall breakfast.
Pumpkin French Toast
Makes 12 slices
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup mil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- one tsp cinnamon
- 12 slices Texas toast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
You will also need:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
2. In a shallow baking dish, combine eggs, pumpkin puree, milk, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Whisk until mixed.
3. Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl, then pour onto a plate and set aside.
4. Warm a griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat.
5. Dip a slice of bread in the pumpkin mixture, then flip the bread to coat the other side. Place coated bread slice on the heated pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes (until golden brown) then flip to cook the other side until golden brown.
6. Dip the cooked French toast slice in the cinnamon sugar mixture, covering each side. Then, place the cooked toast on the prepared baking sheet.
7. Continue the process until all slices are cooked. Place all the cooked French toast slices in the oven for 10 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Print the recipe
Pumpkin French toast
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- shallow baking dish
- small bowl
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- In a shallow baking dish, combine eggs, pumpkin puree, milk, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Whisk until mixed.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl, then pour onto a plate and set aside.
- Warm a griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Dip a slice of bread in the pumpkin mixture, then flip the bread to coat the other side. Place coated bread slice on the heated pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes (until golden browthen flip to cook the other side until golden brown.
- Dip the cooked French toast slice in the cinnamon sugar mixture, covering each side. Then, place the cooked toast on the prepared baking sheet.
- Continue the process until all slices are cooked. Place all the cooked French toast slices in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Pin to save for later