This Guinness Shepherds Pie is a hearty and comforting meal, perfect for the whole family! Packed with meat, veggies and loaded with a super creamy sauce made with Guinness this shepherd’s pie recipe is the perfect meal for St. Patrick’s Day or just about any time you are craving something delicious.
Guinness Shepherds Pie
There’s something comforting about a baked meal. Maybe it’s the fact that the house smells delicious while you are baking it, or maybe is that usually, casseroles and pies are baked when the whole family is at home. Whatever the reason, this Guinness Shepherds Pie is no exception!
This easy shepherd’s pie is a warm, comforting dish that’s a total crowd favorite! It’s packed with spices and has a lot of flavor. The sauce is super creamy and the veggies give it all the nutritious power, plus a bit of color. And then there’s that cheesy mashed potato crust that’s just to die for!
You can make it for a cozy weeknight dinner, a comforting weekend meal or for festive St. Patrick’s Day party!
Other beef recipes you will love:
- Tortellini soup with ground beef
- Farfalle pasta with ground beef
- 6 Ingredients taco soup
- Taco stuffed sweet potatoes
- Philly cheesestake Sloppy Joe’s
- Philly cheesestake grilled cheese
Cooking with Guinness Beer
If you have never cooked or baked with beer before you are probably wondering how it adds up flavor and when to add it to your Shepherd’s pie.
The main difference between a traditional shepherds pie made without beer and the best shepherds pie recipe (made with Guinness) is that the one that has the addition of beer has some smoky, woodsy, chocolate undertone. It’s a delicious addition when you want to give your dish more complexity.
The secret to cooking with beer (or with any liqueur) is adding it to the pan and letting the alcohol reduce. When we do that, we get rid of most of the strong alcohol flavor but keep all the smoky notes.
How to make mashed potatoes for Guinness shepherds pie
You can use any mashed potato recipe you already know and love, the secret for a wonderful shepherds pie topping is mixing in some cheese to it.
I love to add equal parts of cream cheese and mozzarella cheese. This results in a cheesy, silky mashed potato that bakes to a beautiful golden brown.
Irish shepherd’s pie
You’ll need beef stew meat, olive oil, onions, peas, herbs, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, flour, Guinness beer, mashed potatoes and cheese. So go grab your ingredients and let’s get cooking!
How do you make Guinness Shepperd’s Pie?
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onions and carrots and cook until onions are slightly translucent.
3. Add beef stew meat and cook until browned.
4. Add the peas, spices, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce and mix until combined.
5. Pour Guinness beer and cook for 3 minutes or until beer has reduced.
6. Sprinkle with flour and pour beef broth. Simmer for 4 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
7. In a bowl combine mashed potatoes with cream cheese and mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
8. Transfer beef to a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes and cheese.
9. Take to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Print the recipe
Guinness Shepherd's Pie
- 1 Pound beef stew meat
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- ½ Cup carrot chopped
- 1 Cup peas
- ½ Tsp thyme
- ½ Tsp oregano
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp flour
- ¾ Cup Guinness beer
- 1 Cup beef broth
- 2 Cups mashed potatoes
- ½ Cup cream cheese
- ½ Cup mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onions and carrots and cook until onions are slightly translucent.
- Add beef stew meat and cook until browned. Add the peas, spices, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce and mix until combined.
- Pour Guinness beer and cook for 3 minutes or until beer has reduced. Sprinkle with flour and pour beef broth. SImmer for 4 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl combine mashed potatoes with cream cheese and mozzarella cheese. Set aside. Transfer beef to a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes.
- Take to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Pin to save for later