This savory oven chicken stew, made with simple ingredients, makes a great meal after a hard working day! So easy to make, healthy and delicious, this recipe is the perfect comfort food!
Healthy Chicken Stew
I call this oven chicken stew the lazy cook’s stew lol Simply because both preparing the ingredients and cooking this yummylicious chicken vegetable stew are so easy, quick and fuss free!
I wanted to make this chicken stew in oven not only super quick and pretty low maintenance but healthy too. When preparing this oven chicken stew, I diced and sliced the vegetables and the chicken breast without caring too much about the aspect, I wanted my focus to be on the taste and the healthy factor.
I chose to shave the carrot instead of dicing which I find super hard. I got a really nice vegetable peeler at Ikea and it made the job super fast, easy and safe. I also decided to slice the onion julienne which is the fastest method for me. I love peas so I decided to add lots of those to my chicken breast stew.
I dumped all ingredients for this oven chicken stew in a clay cooking pot as I love how these pots add a rustic touch to any food. Thanks to the clay pot I didn’t need to add any extra oil to this easy chicken stew, the tiny bit amount of fat from the chicken breast was enough. And I also didn’t have to roast the vegetables or the chicken breast in advance to give extra flavor to this dish. Light and healthy but so full of amazing flavors, everyone will ask for seconds!
Oven Chicken Stew
- 1 large long red pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 large onion, cut julienne
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 small chicken breasts, diced
- 14 oz canned peas
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium bay leaves
- fresh parsley, chopped
You will also need:
- kitchen knife
- bamboo cutting board
- vegetable peeler
- clay/ceramic cookware with lid (oven safe)
- bamboo spatula
- Pre heat the oven to 375 F.
- Dump diced long pepper, carrot shaves, julienned onion, diced potatoes and diced chicken breast into a ceramic cooking pot.
- Wash peas and strain through a colander then add to the pot.
- Add tomato sauce salt, pepper and bay leaves.
- Pour 2-3 cups of water, just enough to cover the ingredients then mix gently, using a bamboo spatula.
- Cover with lid and bake until 2/3 of the water dissolves, about 1 1/2 hrs.
- Remove dish from oven and add fresh parsley to the pot, mixing gently with a bamboo spatula.