For a bowl of hearty comfort, try the Sour Beef Soup recipe. With super tender chucks of beef that melt in your mouth, this rich, hearty and filling soup, loaded with healthy vegetables, will soon become your go to comfort food.
Sour Beef Soup with loads of vegetables
What would be better, easier and healthier than a bowl of warm beef soup full of vegetables? I really like to take my time when making this sour beef soup as I’d like the meat super tender and that takes at least a couple of hours of boiling.
I also like to throw a lot of vegetables in my soups; I’m not picky, I use any vegetables I have around the house but I truly, deeply love some juicy red bell peppers in this sour beef soup. Maybe I’m wrong but I think they compliment the beef meat perfectly. If you want to add a touch of smoky to this soup, just grill the red bell peppers before adding to the soup. It’s the perfect recipe for a heavenly, mouthwatering and nutritious meal!
I also think that this sour beef soup is a great way to keep your weight on track during all those winter months when we all tend to add a bit of fat here and there. We eat heavier foods and less vegetables, we move less than in warm seasons and some of us tend to increase the alcohol intake too. I think this soup is a great way to keep all those cravings under control because it’s loaded with veggies so it provides the vitamins we need during the cold season.
My Sour Beef soup recipe is simple, unpretentious and very adaptable, but so tasty that it became one of my family’s favorite soups.
Sour beef soup recipe
What you’ll need:
- Beef meat of your choice (I like less fat on mine; I got a pretty lean thigh meat for this recipe)
- 1 large onion
- 1 parsley root
- 1 celery
- 2 large carrots (I love carrots!)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 Medium red bell peppers
- 2 large tomatoes
- 100 g = 3 1/2 oz peas (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup tomato juice
- Borscht – Recipe here (or lemon juice if you don’t make borscht)
- Handful of lovage
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions to make the sour beef soup:
- Dice the meat into small cubes (about 1″)
- Wash well and place in a large pot; cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and let boil for about 2 hours (check to see if the meat is tender enough after 2 hours; if not continue boiling)
- Regularly clean the scum that the meat forms and the walls of the pot.
- Meanwhile cut the vegetables into small cubes.
- Bake the bell peppers if you like the soup to get a smoky taste
- 1 hr 30 minutes after you started boiling the meat add the vegetables except for zucchini, tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes and peppers 20 minutes before you finish boiling the soup.
- Add the tomato juice 10 minutes before turning the stove off.
- Beat the eggs and add to the boiling soup, 5 minutes before turning the stove off.
- 3 minutes after, add the borscht and boil everything for 2 more minutes(if you don’t have, don’t add lemon juice at this point but rather do it when serving the soup).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off the stove and add chopped lovage.
- This sour Beef soup is best served with sour cream, yogurt or chili (or both, as I like to do).
So what do you think? Sounds like something you would make soon? Here’s the recipe card to save or print the recipe for later.