DIY wooden spool Christmas ornaments
Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Diy wooden spool Christmas ornaments are an easy and fun Christmas idea for crafters of all levels and ages. These wooden spool ornaments are filled with lots of Christmas cheer, and they make attractive decorations.
Wooden spool Christmas ornaments
Can you believe it’s already that time again when everyone is making their Christmas and holiday décor plans? If you are anything like me you will probably start planning before Halloween because you just can’t stand the thought of being unprepared come November. But have no fear! If you have some spools that are taking up room in your basement or your junk drawer because you have no idea what to do with them, I have one word for you – wooden spool Christmas ornaments!
These simple and versatile thread spool Christmas ornaments are perfect for both beginners and experienced crafters and can be customized in countless ways using different types of thread, paint, embellishments, and more. Whether you’re looking to create colorful thread spool ornaments or try more intricate wooden spool designs, this guide will help you get started crafting your own beautiful spool ornaments today.
Want more Christmas fun? Check these projects out!
- Clothespin star Christmas ornaments
- Ballerina Christmas ornaments
- Cinnamon stick ornaments
- Wire snowman ornament
- Basket snowman craft
What are wooden spool ornaments?
Simply put, wooden spool ornaments are beautiful, vintage-inspired Christmas decorations made from wooden spools or thread spools. These charming ornaments are a great project for crafters of all levels and ages and can be customized in countless ways to create unique, one-of-a-kind ornaments.
Are wooden spool ornaments for beginners?
While wooden spool Christmas ornaments are perfect for crafters of all levels and ages, they can be especially good for beginners who want to try their hand at crafting something new but aren’t quite sure where to start. These ornaments are easy and simple to make, and you can experiment with a variety of different materials, techniques, and embellishments to create the perfect look for your home.
What are the benefits of making spool ornaments?
There are many benefits to crafting your own wooden spool Christmas ornaments.
- These ornaments are a great way to add some rustic charm and festive holiday spirit to your home
- They make wonderful gifts for friends and family.
- In addition, wooden spool Christmas ornaments are a great way to repurpose old thread spools that would otherwise be collecting dust in your basement or junk drawer.
- They are a fun and budget-friendly way to get into the holiday spirit this year.
- They create a great opportunity to use up scrap materials and experiment with new crafting techniques.
- This is a fun activity to keep the kiddos busy with counting and motor skills.
- They are very quick to put together so you can create a forest of trees in just about 30 minutes!
What are some tips for making ornaments from wooden thread spools?
1. Start by choosing the spools that you want to use for your ornaments. You can choose larger spools for bigger decorations, or smaller spools for more intricate designs.
2. Decide on a design or theme for your ornaments. Whether you want colorful thread spool ornaments with lots of detail, simple wooden spool Christmas trees, or something entirely different, this is a great place to start.
3. Choose your materials and tools carefully when making wooden spool Christmas ornaments. Some good options include paint, glitter, buttons, ribbon, fabric scraps, beads, and other craft supplies of your choice.
4. Experiment with different crafting techniques and embellishments to create the perfect ornaments for your home. You can paint spools, add colored thread or beads, glue on trinkets or charms, and more to create unique and memorable decorations.
5. When you’re finished crafting your wooden spool Christmas ornaments, be sure to hang them somewhere where they can be seen and enjoyed all season long!
Whether you display them on a tree, around the house, or send them off as gifts to family and friends, these festive decorations are sure to make your home feel extra warm and cozy this holiday season.
Is it better to leave the wood natural or paint it?
There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to painting or leaving wooden spool Christmas ornaments natural. Ultimately, the choice will depend on your personal preferences, the look you are trying to achieve, and the materials you have available. Some people prefer a more rustic, natural look for their wooden thread spools, while others may prefer a bright and colorful paint job with lots of embellishments and details. Ultimately, the choice is up to you!
What type of paint do you use?
There is no one “best” type of paint to use when making wooden spool ornaments. However, some good options include acrylic paint, spray paint, and decoupage mediums like Mod Podge. Some people may prefer using a more textured craft paint for a rustic look, while others may opt for smoother spray paints or glossy decoupage finishes. Whatever your preference, just be sure to choose a quality product that will hold up well over time.
Do I need to seal the ornaments?
If you want your wooden spool ornaments to last for many years to come, it is generally a good idea to seal them with a coat of clear varnish or sealant. This will help protect the paint or other materials from cracking and chipping over time, and can help ensure that your beautiful decorations stay looking their best for seasons to come. Just be sure to read the instructions carefully and follow any recommended application methods when sealing your spool ornaments.
How do I decorate wooden spool ornaments?
There are many different ways to decorate wooden spool ornaments, depending on your preferences and the look you are trying to achieve. Some popular options include painting, decoupaging, embellishing with glitter or beads, adding ribbon and other trims, tying on bows, and more. The sky is truly the limit when it comes to decorating wooden thread spools for the holidays, so be sure to explore all of your options and have fun with the crafting process!
What are some ideas for using spool ornaments?
There are many different ways to use wooden spool Christmas ornaments. Some popular ideas include:
- decorating a Christmas tree with colorful thread spool ornaments
- creating garlands out of painted wooden spools and festive ribbon
- adding embellishments like beads and charms to your decorations
- sending spool ornaments as special gifts to friends and family
- hanging spools on the mantle, around the house, or anywhere else that you want to add a festive touch to your holiday decor.
Whether you want to create simple wooden spool Christmas trees or more elaborate, multilayered designs, these festive decorations are sure to add a special touch to your holiday decor this season. No matter how you choose to use them, wooden thread spool Christmas ornaments are sure to be a hit this holiday season!
What do I need to make these vintage wooden Christmas ornaments?
- Wooden Craft Spools, ½” Tall – These wooden spools can be found at most craft stores and are an essential component of any wooden spool ornament project.
- Wooden Stars, Small – You will also need small wooden stars to complete your thread spool decorations. These are typically available at craft stores as well, or you may be able to find them online.
- Ribbon – Seven Assorted Colors and Patterns – To decorate your wooden spool ornaments, you will need a variety of colored and patterned ribbon. You can choose ribbons in different widths and textures, as well as metallic ribbons for a festive look.
- Craft Paint – Metallic Gold – For painting your ornaments, you will need a high-quality metallic gold craft paint.
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Twine, Natural – 10” lengths
Once you have gathered all of the necessary materials, you are ready to start crafting your own vintage wooden spool Christmas ornaments! Have fun and happy decorating!
How are wooden spool ornaments made?
Interested in making your own wooden spool ornaments? Here are some basic steps to help you get started.
Gather all supplies. The wooden spools at the craft store were ½” tall and already stained brown. Measure and cut assorted ribbons to fit spools. Attach ribbon pieces to wooden spool using glue gun and glue sticks. Each tree requires seven spools, six red and green Christmas inspired patterns and one brown pattern.
Paint small wooden stars with metallic gold paint. Let dry and apply a second coat, if necessary. TIP: Tp paint small items, place a piece of tape sticky side up on your work surface. Attach the pieces to be painted, then set aside to dry.
Assemble the spool tree by gluing together three spools to create the base. Add two spools on the second row and then one spool at the top in a pyramid shape. Attach the tree trunk spool at the bottom center.
To finish, knot a ten-inch section of twine into a loop and attach to top spool with a glue gun and glue sticks. Glue the star to the twine with glue gun and glue sticks. With adult supervision, use a hot glue gun, but a low temp glue gun would work just as well.
Use larger thread spools to create a tabletop size tree. This is a great craft to use up bits, pieces and scraps of ribbons, lace and even fabric.
So if you’re looking to add some vintage-inspired Christmas charm to your home this holiday season, look no further than wooden spool Christmas ornaments! With their beautiful, rustic design and endless customization options, these charming decorations are the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit. So what are you waiting for? Start crafting your own wooden spool ornaments today!
Pin to save for later
Print the craft card
Wooden spool Christmas ornaments
- Wooden Craft Spools ½” Tall - Seven
- Wooden Stars Small - One
- Ribbon Seven Assorted Colors and Patterns
- Craft Paint Metallic Gold
- Twine Natural – 10” lengths
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Gather all supplies. The wooden spools at the craft store were ½” tall and already stained brown. Measure and cut assorted ribbons to fit spools. Attach ribbon pieces to wooden spool using glue gun and glue sticks. Each tree requires seven spools, six red and green Christmas inspired patterns and one brown pattern.
- Paint small wooden stars with metallic gold paint. Let dry and apply a second coat, if necessary. TIP: Tp paint small items, place a piece of tape sticky side up on your work surface. Attach the pieces to be painted, then set aside to dry.
- Assemble the spool tree by gluing together three spools to create the base. Add two spools on the second row and then one spool at the top in a pyramid shape. Attach the tree trunk spool at the bottom center.
- To finish, knot a ten-inch section of twine into a loop and attach to top spool with a glue gun and glue sticks. Glue the star to the twine with glue gun and glue sticks. With adult supervision, use a hot glue gun, but a low temp glue gun would work just as well.
Hi, I’m Petro, author and founder of Easy Peasy Creative Ideas. Sewist, crafter, avid DIY-er, foodie, photographer, homemaker and mommy to one. I’m an expert at coming up with quick, clever sewing tips, recycling crafts and simple, easy recipes! You can find my ideas featured in reputable publications such as Country Living, Good House Keeping, Yahoo News, WikiHow, Shutterfly, Parade, Brit & Co and more. Thanks for stopping by and hope you’ll stay for a while, get to know me better and come back another time. Stick around for real fun projects! Read more…