Looking for cute Valentine backdrop ideas for your party? With this simple tutorial for yarn wrapped hearts, you’ll have the most adorable Valentines backdrop for your Valentine’s Day festivities!
Whether you’re hosting a Valentine’s Day party or just want to add a little holiday cheer to your home during February, decorating with a hearts backdrop is a great idea! And by creating your own Valentines backdrop, you’ll have the perfect spot for photos or a cute holiday vignette.
More Valentine crafts you’ll love:
- Rustic Valentine wreath
- Valentine burlap wreath
- Heart cuffs kids craft
- Hearts wall decor
- Valentine’s day pillow craft
Tips for making this yarn heart craft
The basis of this cute Valentines backdrop is a handful of yarn wrapped hearts. And while these cute hearts are very easy to make, these simple tips are very helpful!
- Use a template for your hearts. To make sure each of your hearts are even and cohesive, it’s a good idea to use a template. Luckily, I have you covered! My printable template includes a large, medium, and small heart, so you’ll have everything you need to make your own Valentine’s Day backdrop.
- Use thick cardboard. To make sure your hearts don’t bend and buckle as you wrap them with yarn, it’s best to use thick cardboard to make them. A shipping box is the perfect thickness for your yarn wrapped hearts.
- Secure the end. While it’s not necessary to secure the end of your yarn before you start wrapping, it is helpful. Placing a piece of tape over the end of the yarn will help you keep the yarn in place while you wrap.
- Choose a thick yarn. To make wrapping the yarn hearts a little easier, choose a thicker yarn for this project. The thick yarn will help cover the cardboard, helping you reduce the amount of times you need to wrap each heart.
How to Use a Valentines Backdrop
Once you have all your hearts wrapped and you put your backdrop together, you may be wondering how to use it. There are a variety of ways to use a Valentine’s Day backdrop:
- For a photo-booth. If you’re having a Valentine’s Day party, this cute backdrop would be perfect for a photo booth!
- For holiday selfies. And even if you don’t have a party planned, this cute backdrop would look amazing in the background of your holiday selfies.
- For a Valentine’s Day vignette. This backdrop doesn’t have to be used for photos at all! Instead, use it as a backdrop for your holiday decorations. Creating a cute Valentine’s Day vignette is much easier when you have a fun yarn heart backdrop.
I made a template for each of the hearts. The PDF file is free for my email subscribers but can also be purchased here if you’d rather not join the newsletter.
- Cut out the heart templates and trace them on a piece of cardboard with a marker.
- Cut out each cardboard heart.
- Tape the end of the yarn to the back of each heart.
- Wrap with yarn until it’s covered.
- When all the hearts are covered, attach a piece of yarn to the back and hang it from the backdrop.
- Fill in the blank spots in the backdrop with felt hearts, if desired.