Looking for a trendy design idea? Make some pine cone flowers to match your decor! Home decor ideas with pine cones are easy to make, so much fun for the whole family and a great way to brighten your room all year round!
Pine cone flowers
Looking for creative ideas with pine cones? Pine cones are great for decorating during the fall and winter months, but did you know you can use them in your spring decor, too? A few simple adjustments and a little bit of pastel paint can transform a drab pine cone into a work of art! These pretty pine cone flowers are the perfect way to decorate your home not only for spring!
More Spring ideas you will love:
- Rain boots flower vase
- DIY herb pot from recycled tin can
- Paper tube flower wreath
- Artificial wisteria wall decor
- DIY paper peonies
- DIY paper flowers for kids
- Framed dried flowers craft
Prepping Your Pine Cones
The hardest part about making your own pine cone flowers is the prep work. To prepare your pine cones for painting, you should first make sure they’re clean. If you picked your pine cones from your yard, this step is especially important to remove dirt and bugs that may be hiding inside the pine cones.
To clean your pine cones, you’ll need:
- A scrub brush
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
Start by using the scrub brush to carefully knock out any loose dirt and debris from the pine cones. Then, fill a large bucket with water and ½ cup of vinegar. Allow the pine cones to soak for around 30 minutes, then remove the pine cones from the water and rinse the vinegar away. Try not to let the pine cones soak for much longer than 30 minutes to keep them from closing up.
After removing the pine cones from the vinegar bath, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake the pine cones in a 300-degree oven for around an hour. Baking the pine cones will help dry them out more quickly and make them open up again after being soaked.
Tips for Cutting Your Pine Cones
In spite of their small size, cutting the pine cones for your pine cone flowers crafts is a little tricky. If you’re having trouble cutting your pine cones, consider these easy tips:
- Use a hand saw or jigsaw. The best way to cut through the thick stem in the middle of the pine cone is with a hand saw. Using a saw will make cutting through that thick stem so much easier!
- Use pliers or clamps to get a better grip. One of the most difficult parts of cutting the pine cone is getting a good grip. The best way to grip your pine cone is to clamp the end of the pine cone in pliers or a clamp. Since you’ll be discarding the pointy end of the pine cone, don’t worry about smashing the fronds in the pliers. Just hold tight to the end as you cut to easily slice through the stem without worrying about hurting yourself in the process.
Painted pine cone flowers
- Large pine cones
- Hand saw
- Craft paint
- Paint brushes
- Blank wooden sign
- Green paper
- Hot glue gun
How to make pine cone flowers?
1. Use a hand saw to cut the top off the pine cones, leaving the bottom few layers. Discard the top of the pine cone.
2. Use craft paint to paint the pine cones. It may take several coats to completely cover the pine cones.
3. Cut leaves from the green paper and glue them on the bottom of the blank wooden sign.
4. Glue the twigs on top of the leaves as the flowers’ stems.
5. Glue the painted pine cones on top of the twigs.
If you liked these pine cone decoration ideas, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to rate this tutorial! Thanks!