Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
A Mexican-inspired recipe, this sweet potato casserole recipe is as tasty as it is healthy! A delicious side dish, perfect for holidays, this mashed sweet potato casserole is made with black beans and hummus and is vegan and gluten-free but can be easily adapted to include meat.
Easy sweet potato casserole
Mashed sweet potato casserole is a classic fall dish that is served at Thanksgiving dinner each year! But most sweet potato casseroles are filled with sugar. If you’re searching for a Thanksgiving sweet potato casserole that is a little lighter and healthier, I have you covered! This delicious and healthy mashed sweet potato casserole is a great way to enjoy sweet potatoes during the holidays without feeling guilty.
More sweet potato recipes you’ll love:
- Leftover turkey stuffed sweet potatoes
- Taco stuffed sweet potatoes
- Chicken chili with sweet potatoes & black beans
- Baked garlicky sweet potato fries
- Twice baked chicken & vegetable sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite fall foods. But the candied pecans, marshmallows, and sugar that often come along with sweet potatoes this time of year make sweet potatoes so unhealthy and pretty heavy! Whether you’re looking for a delicious side dish for a weeknight dinner this fall or a healthier alternative to sweet potato casserole for your Thanksgiving dinner, you’re going to love this mashed sweet potato casserole with black beans and hummus!
Tips for making sweet potato black bean casserole
This simple recipe is so easy to make, it works well for weeknight dinners or a holiday side dish. But these quick tips will make putting this recipe together so much simpler.
- Poke holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork before microwaving. Use a fork to poke a set of holes in the top of the sweet potatoes before you put them in the microwave. This will give the steam a way to escape as the sweet potatoes cook, which lessens the likelihood that the potatoes will split as they cook.
- Use a hand mixer to mash the sweet potatoes. Make mashing the sweet potatoes super simple by using your hand mixer. Start by smashing the potatoes with the whisks on your mixer before turning it on. Then, turn the mixer on low to smooth out the potatoes before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Don’t forget to drain and rinse your black beans. You don’t want any of that watery residue from the canned beans getting in your beautifully mashed sweet potatoes. Take the time to clean your black beans by pouring them from the can into a strainer and running cold water over the beans.
Can I Make This Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole Ahead of Time?
This easy sweet potato and black bean casserole takes just a few minutes to make so there’s no need to prepare in advance. However, if you feel you need to make this recipe in advance, you can make it one day ahead of time. To prepare your casserole ahead of time, follow the recipe below up to the black bean step. Instead of adding the black beans, cover the casserole and put it in the refrigerator. When ready to put the recipe together, remove the casserole from the refrigerator and re-heat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes before adding the rest of ingredients.
This delicious recipe is so filling and satisfying, you’ll probably want to consider it as a meal on its own on crazy busy weeknights, when cooking a meal for your family is the last thing on your mind!
Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
For this easy sweet potato casserole you’ll need just a handful of ingredients you probably already have in your pantry this time of year: sweet potatoes, lime, olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic, black beans and hummus.
To make your sweet potato casserole, begin by baking sweet potatoes in microwave until soft, around 10 minutes. Peel off and mash sweet potatoes.
Then add lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and mashed garlic.
Place mixture in a casserole dish.
Top with black beans, rinsed and drained.
Mix hummus with a little bit of water.
Then drizzle over the casserole.
Print the recipe
Mashed sweet potato casserole with black beans & hummus
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- The juice of one lime
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic mashed
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 1 tbsp water
- Bake sweet potatoes in microwave until soft, around 10 minutes.
- Mash sweet potatoes
- Add lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Place mixture in a casserole dish
- Top with black beans.
- Mix hummus with water & drizzle over the casserole.