Spicy ham and cheese sandwich
I woke up one day with the urge of eating something spicy. And no, I’m not pregnant, I just love spicy food a lot. But what can one have at breakfast that is spicy, nutritious, tasty and filling? Hmm, maybe a spicy ham and cheese sandwich? This is a great way to add a twist to a regular ham and cheese sandwich.
This sandwich is a quick, delicious meal and tastes great with a few veggies thrown in, like cabbage and chopped lovage which is another favorite. It literally took 5 minutes to put this baby together. And only 2 to inhale it! No kidding, I’ve never eaten so fast in my whole life which of course is not good but I just couldn’t help myself.
I chose a wholewheat bun as it’s my favorite and it also looks cute (I’m all about cuteness, can you tell?) and decided to spread a bit of tomato paste too, just for fun. Then I added the chopped chili peppers and lovage.
Turns out, tomato paste works like magic on this sandwich and makes a nice pair with the cabbage, lovage and the red chili peppers. Who knew? Next comes the ham, cheese and cabbage which I decide not to chop so I won’t deal with the mess while I enjoy my awesome spicy ham and cheese sandwich.
Threw it in the sandwich maker, pressing the lid on with my had, careful not to burn my hands and voila! The most magnificent sandwich on earth is ready for me to devour. Which I did as noted above. Again, not recommended.
Spicy ham and cheese sandwich recipe
Wanna make one too? Here’s the recipe so you could all join the fun:
- 1 wholewheat bun
- 2 thick slices of ham
- 1 small pickled red chili pepper, chopped
- 4 lovage leaves, copped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 fresh cabbage leaf
- Split the bun in half
- Spread tomato paste
- Add chopped chili peppers and lovage
- Top with ham then cheese
- Fold the cabbage leaf so it fits the bun and place on top
- Close the sandwich with the other half of the bun
- Place in a sandwich make and gently press the lid on so both sides of the bun get toasted
- If you like your cheese to be melted, place the cheese in the microwave for 15-20 seconds before adding to the sandwich.
- You could add some pickled cucumbers if you prefer or have them on a side when serving the sandwich