Homemade coconut chocolate bars
I love coconut and I love chocolate. In other words I love Bounty bars, they’ve been my companion for ages now. A few years back you could find a Bounty bar in my bag at any time, I just liked to know I have one hand for when the cravings kicked in.
It never crossed my mind to try and make my own Bounty bars though, until now. I obviously miss the skills to make my homemade coconut chocolate bars look exactly like Bounty bars but I was more after the delicious taste. I must admit I had a hard time shaping these babies up but the process as a whole was easy peasy, with just a few ingredients.
What I liked is that it’s quite quick to make, without much mess in the kitchen and the coconut filling stays moist and fresh for a few days, just like the original Bounty chocolate.
I also liked that I had the freedom to use any kind of chocolate I like as a “shell”, since I am not a fan of dark chocolate and so I picked Milka chocolate with nuts which has less cocoa and it has a softer taste. The chocolate, nuts, coconut combination was a delicious surprise. Now if I could only make these beauties look like store bought chocolate bars I will obviously make a fortune selling them!
When making this recipe please be aware of a few details and hazards as we almost lost a finger in the process:
- Make sure you know how to cut coconut and use proper tools for that
- In close relation, make sure you know how to remove the flesh without piercing your fingers
- The coconut oil has to be measured as fluid not when hard (as you might be aware, coconut oil actually comes in a solid form and has to be warmed up to become a fluid)
- Use two forks when covering the coconut bars in chocolate
- You might find the recommended chocolate quantity is not enough to fit your taste. Get some more just in case
- Melt chocolate on a bain-marie.
Homemade coconut chocolate bars recipe
- 300 g fresh coconut
- 120 g cashew nuts
- 120 ml water
- 100 g coconut flakes
- pinch of salt
- 120 g honey
- 100 g coconut oil
- 120 g chocolate (milk cooking chocolate or your choice. I used Milka with nuts)
- Cut the coconut, take the flesh out, chop and mince in a food processor
- Mix cashew and water in a food processor until you get a fine paste
- Mix coconut and the cashew paste with all ingredients
- Give the mixture to a freezer for 15 minutes
- Remove from freezer and form bars with your hands
- Place the bars on a foil and keep in the freezer for 10 more minutes
- Melt the chocolate on a bain-marie
- Roll the bars through melted chocolate using 2 forks
- Arrange your bars on a baking sheet
- Cool in the freezer for 10 more minutes before serving