This mushrooms in sour cream sauce recipe is so easy and makes a delicious, flavorful sauce to add to a stake, a side dish or a light dinner when paired with a salad.
Mushrooms in sour cream sauce
Are you a mushrooms lover? Then you’ll find this mushrooms in sour cream sauce recipe a little bit of a mushrooms heaven. It’s sooo easy to make and so versatile! Make it vegetarian and serve it as a side dish or add a bit of meat if vegetarian is not your cup of tea (I’ve got a very similar recipe here) and use as a sauce for your steaks.
If you are like me and prefer light dinners, this recipe could easily be turned into a main meal. Just cook the mushrooms in sour cream sauce a little longer so the sauce is thicker and pair the recipe with a side salad like this salad I made with baby spinach, roasted carrots, chickpeas, feta and pistachio.
For this recipe I chose not to add garlic as my daughter is so picky lately but I think garlic gives so much more flavor so if you are a fan, go ahead and add some to your recipe. I also omitted fresh herbs for the same reason but I would totally add some copped dill or parsley, both go great with this simple but flavorful recipe. But I took the liberty to add some hot chili pepper flakes on my plate (which I may have spread a little bit too liberally)
Mushrooms in sour cream sauce recipe
- 1/4 butter
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional – 3 garlic cloves
- optional – 1/4 cup fresh dill or parsley, finely chopped
- optional – hot chili pepper flakes, to sprinkle.
You will also need:
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onions and saute until glassy then add mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Add sour cream and cook for 5 to 10 minutes (depends on how thick you like the sauce)
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute – optional.
- Add dill or parsley, stir well and cook for 1 more minute – optional.
- Sprinkle hot chili pepper flakes when serving – optional.
- Serve as sauce on steaks, a side dish or a main dish with salad.
Cornish hen with mushrooms, ham, garlic, lemon and herbs