Baked, not fried, these rosemary sweet potato fries are the perfect side dish for any dinner or a delicious and healthy appetizer to serve at any party or get together! Make a large batch of these healthy sweet potato fries because everyone at the table will go for seconds (and probably ask for the recipe).
Rosemary sweet potato fries
Rosemary sweet potato fries are one of those dishes that taste so delicious you would never think it’s healthy, or at least healthier than traditional fries. The reason? Sweet potatoes are total nutritional powerhouses packed with nutrients and oh so filling.
They are also in season right now so you can find them at pretty much any supermarket and farmers market you visit. I love sweet potatoes and resort to them in quick recipes every time I’m running short on ideas or time. They’re quick to cook, super tasty and loaded with healthy beta carotene! Definitely a much healthier alternative to regular potatoes, fried or mashed.
More sweet potato recipes you will love:
- Mashed sweet potato casserole with black beans & hummus
- Turkey stuffed sweet potatoes
- Taco stuffed sweet potatoes
- Spiced herb roasted sweet potato wedges
- Chicken chili with sweet potatoes
- Baked garlic sweet potato fries
- Twice baked chicken vegetables sweet potatoes
- Sweet potato casserole
How to make the perfect sweet potato fry
This is a common question I get often and let me tell you, they do have their secret!
You need to soak sweet potatoes in cold water before cooking them! And this is a non-negotiable! When you soak them you get rid of a lot of starches that make fries limp. So soaked sweet potatoes are crispier on the outside.
Also, you want to pat dry them before baking. Getting rid of as much water as possible helps with- yes, you guessed it – the crispiness! A super dry sweet potato is a super crispy sweet potato fry.
And finally, you want to toss them with infused melted butter. That’s what packed these rosemary sweet potatoes with flavor.
How to make the rosemary-infused butter
The star of this recipe is the rosemary-infused butter we use to coat the sweet potato fries. It’s so delicious and so flavorful and best of all really easy to make. I actually make a large batch, cool some of it, and serve it with bread during dinner time.
Just melt butter in a saucepan, add a couple rosemary sprigs and brown the butter. The nuttiness of the browned butter + the earthiness of rosemary is a match made in heaven.
Can you fry sweet potato fries?
Yes, you can fry them if you want! However, these oven-baked easy sweet potato fries taste just like if they were deep-fried so you don’t even notice the difference.
Roasted sweet potato fries
1. To make your rosemary sweet potato fried, start by cutting the sweet potatoes into slices then into matchsticks.
2. Take to a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Place butter, rosemary, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper in a saucepan.
4. Melt over medium heat for around 3 minutes or until the butter has browned. Discard rosemary sprig.
5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pat dry sweet potatoes with a kitchen towel and place in a baking pan.
6. Pour melted butter over sweet potatoes and toss to combine.
7. Take to the oven and roast for 35 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
Print the recipe
Rosemary sweet potato fries
- 2 Sweet potatoes scrubbed
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Rosemary sprig
- 1 Tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut sweet potatoes into matchsticks. Take to a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Place butter, rosemary, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper in a saucepan. Melt over medium heat for around 3 minutes or until the butter has browned. Discard rosemary sprig.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pat dry sweet potatoes with a kitchen towel and place in a baking pan.
- Pour melted butter over sweet potatoes and toss to combine. Take to the oven and roast for 35 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
Pin to save for later