Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
If you’re looking for fabric bags to make in just a few hours, these tote bag patterns are easy to sew, beautiful and practical! While some are a little more complicated, many of these handmade tote bags are great as a first time sewing project!
Cute tote bags
Sewing tote bags for yourself, your family or friends is both fun and enjoyable! And with this tote bag patterns, they’re super easy to make too!
Handmade tote bags are very popular these days and for all the good reasons! They’re not only a great way to protect the environment (less plastic, greener mother Earth!) but they’re also a wonderful opportunity to put your own spin on the style of your bags. Plus your tote bag will basically be unique as you get to choose the fabric, the shape and the size of your tote bag. There isn’t a lot you can do about the shape, there’s only a few options but you could add tons of details to make it your own, like bias trims or pom poms, patchwork details, appliques, corded handles etc.
If you’re anything like me, you re totally in love with tote bags and probably own a lot more than you actually need! But that doesn’t stop you from buying or making more, right? You’ll absolutely love the tote bag patterns in this roundup! Some of these you’ll be able to finish in about an hour or so and some may require a little more time, like a whole afternoon or even a day if you’re a beginner. But you’ll be so excited to wear these lovely bags, they’re totally worth the time invested!
Tote bag patterns
- Reversible rope handled tote bag – This funky tote bag features a handle made with rope so it looks super unique and impressive. It’s also reversible so you have two bags in one. And not to mention it’s crazy easy to make, even beginners can handle the project!
- Basket tote bag pattern – This is such a stunning tote bag! It has such a cute shape, two interior pockets, rolled handles and it’s a nice roomy size. The center panel is quilted and there is some lovely piping that separates the middle from the sides! This adds a professional touch and helping you hide mistakes.
- Pretty lace bow tote bag pattern – This lovely tote has such a fabulous design and it’s done in a breathtaking fabric!I absolutely adore the lace bow detail! This tote bag is a rhombus shape but the sides tie together in a bow! This makes the bag more of a rectangle shape. This is not only a fun design element but also makes the bag smaller!
- Peekaboo Chevron Tote – Display one of the hottest trends-chevrons- with a little sneak peek of the print in a pleat. Classic black-and-tan prints combine beautifully for an elegant bag with a little spunk.
- Towel beach tote bag – Perfect not only for the beach season, this roomy beach towel bag is a great help for when you need to carry lots of items because it’s so comfortable to wear on your shoulder!
- Leather tote bag with convertible strap – Great as a shoulder tote bag this lovely leather bag can also be worn as a backpack for days when you need your hands free for other stuff (like carry your kids or groceries).
- Scrapyard tote bag – This is a great project for using up scraps that you have left over from quilts or other bags. This sweet little tote is great for carrying around with you as a small purse too! Because of all the pieces in this bag no two totes will ever be alike!
- Oilcloth pool tote with mesh pockets – This practical and pretty pool tote which features oilcloth and handy mesh pockets. The cross-body design makes it easy to carry your things from the car to the beach or pool. And have I mentioned how crazy cute this tote is?
- Quilted yo-yo tote bag – This adorable tote bag is made with metalic linen, with a leather straps and features yo-yo flowers to the front side. It’s elegant and fashionable with just the right pinch of whimsy.
- Rope picnic tote bag – Build a fabulous rope tote, using your basic sewing skills and some humble rope. This cool rope bag is made entirely from rope and is perfect for the beach, the market or for picnics!
- Ruffled tote bag – Super pretty, practical and easy to make, this lovely tote bag will make any girl squeal in excitement!
- Canvas tote bag – This carry-everywhere bag is ready for any adventure. Heading out for a summer picnic or exploring your local farmers market? This handmade tote bag is the perfect accessory for every day.
- Vinyl grocery tote bag – Go shopping for groceries in style! This shopping bag pattern is personalized for your style and needs! Is sturdy and super strong so you can safely carry lots of groceries! But ask your muscles if they agree on that first!
- Kate Spade inspired bow tote – I’m in total awe with this tote bag! This darling tote with front bow is not only cute but perfect for fall too!
- Bohemian Tassel Laptop Tote – If you’ve been looking for a cool laptop bag, this is a must make! So pretty with all that Bohemian vibe, this tote has also a great, unique style no other tote bag can replicate!
- Wine bottle tote bag – Easy to make, this wine bottle tote bag adds the perfect touch to any bottle! Great gift idea for the holidays, it’s also a great craft to make and sell!
- Burlap tote with wide straps – It’s the details that make a handmade bag truly stand out! This tote bag is made in two colors, with burlap fabric that ads a rustic touch to the bag! It features wide straps to make the bag more comfortable to wear, particularly if you tend to carry heavy stuff.
- Pretty tote bag pattern – Looking for a quick and easy sewing project? This tote bag pattern and tutorial is fast and turns out great! And the fabric choice is stunning!
- Cute little book totes – This easy to sew tote is perfect for putting books and treasures in. And they look soo adorable!
- Rounded top canvas tote – If you need a roomy tote bag to carry all your belongings, this round tote bag pattern makes a super cute, bright bag, perfect for the summer season!
- Pleated tote bag – This bag is wonderful! The design is so beautiful and easy to sew, even beginners can make this pretty pleated tote!