This chicken enchilada soup recipe is super creamy, cheesy and comforting! The perfect quick dinner for those moments when you’re craving a comforting bowl of soup but don’t want to spend a tone of time cooking.
Enchilada soup recipe
This creamy enchilada soup recipe is like a party in your mouth (or should I say a fiesta?). This tastes like the classic restaurant version but it only takes around 30 minutes from start to finish to whip up in your own kitchen.
It also uses simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry so that’s another great thing about this recipe. It’s satisfying, it’s comforting and it’s a crowd favorite.
More soup recipes you will love:
- 30 Minutes chicken taco coup
- 6 ingredients taco soup
- Cheddar beer soup
- Tortellini soup with ground beef
- Pork chop soup
What is an enchilada soup?
If you never heard about an enchilada soup before you are in for a great finding! An enchilada soup it’s just like the name suggests, an enchilada in a soup form! You have everything delicious in enchiladas in here: things cooked onions, corn, tomato sauce cheese (all the cheese!) and even corn tortilla flavor.
It’s one of those delicious Mexican dishes that has become super famous thanks to big chain restaurants that offer it in their menus. This tastes just like the one you get at those restaurants!
How to make this easy chicken enchilada soup
This recipe is super easy and quick! That’s why I love it so much. You need to saute some onion until translucent, that way we get rid of that strong onion bite some people don’t like. Then sprinkle some masa harina on top.
Masa harina is what makes this chicken enchilada soup so creamy and filling. If you don’t happen to have masa harina on hand you can chop a couple corn tortillas and throw them in. They will dissolve while the coup is simmering.
Then just basically add tomato sauce, chicken stock, shredded chicken and simmer for a bit All the flavors will intensify! Finish it with some cheese and mix until melted and incorporated.
Then just top your soup with some black beans, more shredded cheese, sliced avocado and chopped cilantro.
Chicken enchilada soup recipe
1 Tbsp oil
1 Onion, chopped
⅓ Cup masa harina
2 ½ Cups chicken stock
2 Cups shredded chicken
1 Cup enchilada sauce
½ Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion and cook until translucent, around 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle masa harina on top and cook, stirring, for 3 more minutes.
4. Add chicken stock, enchilada sauce and shredded chicken and bring to a gentle simmer.
5. Stirring constantly cook for around 15 minutes or until the soup is thick and creamy.
6. Add shredded cheese and stir to combine. Cook for 2 more minutes.
7. Remove from fire and serve with toppings.
Print the recipe
Chicken enchilada soup recipe
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- ⅓ Cup masa harina
- 2 ½ Cups chicken stock
- 2 Cups shredded chicken
- 1 Cup enchilada sauce
- ½ Cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Black beans
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, around 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle masa harina on top and cook, stirring, for 3 more minutes.
- Add chicken stock, enchilada sauce and shredded chicken and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Stirring constantly cook for around 15 minutes or until the soup is thick and creamy.
- Add shredded cheese and stir to combine. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from fire and serve with toppings.