Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
The secret to a great pizza is in the crust! See how you can make your own with this thin pizza crust recipe! Amazingly delicious, this homemade pizza dough is crispy, can be rolled out super thin or thick and is crazy easy to make!
Thin crust pizza dough
My family and I don’t eat pizza too often but when we do we are quite picky, especially about the crust so we’re always looking for pizza places that use a thin pizza crust recipe. We love our pizza with super thin crust and we make a big deal about certain topping ingredients too.
We also favor homemade pizza. It tastes way better and we love the amazing smell that spreads all around the house! We decided to give homemade pizza dough a try and came up with this crazy easy crispy pizza dough recipe.
I love that this thin pizza crust recipe doesn’t need lots of time to make, it comes together in minutes, literally and doesn’t need time to rise so our pizza is ready in no time, whenever we feel like serving one. And the fact that we get to use our favorite ingredients is a great bonus.
We prefer a crispy pizza crust because we love crunchy food, the crunchiest the better. The way we make it is in fact super thin and super crunchy. But if you’d rather make yours thicker, use this easy pizza dough recipe to make the crust and then simply roll your dough out a little thicker.
More pizza dough ideas:
Why thin pizza crust is the best kind of pizza crust?
The answer is in the texture. A thin pizza crust has a crispier texture, it’s not as chewy as a thicker one and it’s also crunchier. It’s easier to eat too because you can actually pick up a slice without having to fold it first.
A lot of people think that a thin pizza crust is harder to make but it’s actually quite easy, especially if you follow a good recipe. What’s important is to not overwork the dough and to use the right flour.
The benefits of a homemade thin pizza crust recipe:
- you get to choose your own ingredients, so it can be as healthy or unhealthy as you want
- you get to make a large pizza, enough for a few people
- it’s cheaper than buying a pizza from a pizzeria
- the smell of fresh pizza baking in the oven is amazing!
- the crust is crispy and thin, just the way we like it!
Tips for the perfect thin pizza crust every time!
- Use all purpose flour: This is the most common type of flour and it works perfectly for thin pizza crust.
- Don’t overwork the dough: Overworking the dough will make it tough and chewy, so mix it just enough to combine all the ingredients.
- Let the dough rest: This is an important step, especially if you’re using whole wheat flour. Let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes so it will be easier to roll out.
- Roll the dough out thin: If you want a thin crust pizza, roll the dough out thin. You can use a rolling pin or your hands.
- Bake the pizza at a high temperature: This is what will make your crust crispy. Bake the pizza at a high temperature for about 10-15 minutes.
- Use a little less yeast: If you use too much yeast your pizza dough will rise too much and be harder to work with.
- Add warm water: This will help the yeast to activate and rise.
- Dust a little more flour: If your dough is too sticky, add a little more flour until it’s not sticky anymore.
- Use a little less oil: If you use too much oil your dough will be too greasy and won’t cook properly.
- Preheat your oven: This will help the pizza to cook evenly.
- Bake the pizza on a hot baking stone: This will give you a crispy crust.
Thin crust pizza dough variations:
- Use whole wheat flour for a healthier pizza crust.
- Add herbs or spices to the dough for extra flavor. Oregano and basil are great options for pizza,
- Use a different type of oil, such as olive oil or coconut oil.
- Add garlic powder or onion powder to the dough for extra flavor.
- Use self rising flour for a quicker and easier pizza dough.
- Add cheese or other toppings to the dough before baking.
- Substitute water with milk for a richer dough with added protein.
- Roll the dough out on a sheet of parchment paper for an even thinner crust.
Pizza ideas using this thin crust pizza dough:
- Dessert pizza with Nutella, strawberries and whipped cream.
- BBQ chicken pizza with BBQ sauce, chicken, red onions and cilantro.
- Breakfast pizza with eggs and ham
- Vegetarian hummus and feta pizza
- Philly cheese steak pizza with steak, onions, peppers and cheese.
- Mushroom pizza with mushrooms, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- White pizza with Alfredo sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Garlic bread pizza with garlic butter, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Italian sausage pizza with Italian sausage, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
How to make thin crust pizza dough in a bread machine:
Add all of the ingredients to the bread machine in the order listed.
Set the bread machine to the dough setting and start it.
When the dough is done, turn it out onto a floured surface and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Continue with making the pizza with your favorite toppings, using the instructions below.
You can also make this recipe using a stand mixer equipped with the bread paddle.
What is the best way to cook a thin crust pizza recipe?
For the best results, cook your thin pizza crust in a hot oven (400-420 degrees F) on a preheated baking stone or baking sheet. This will help to create a crispy crust. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Can you make this thin crust pizza dough into a deep dish pizza?
No, this thin crust pizza dough recipe is not meant for deep dish pizzas. For a deep dish pizza, you will need a different type of dough recipe.
What are some good toppings for a thin pizza crust?
There are endless possibilities when it comes to pizza toppings! Some of our favorites include:
What are some good pizza topping combinations?
There are countless recipes when it comes to combining pizza toppings. Some of our favorite pizza topping combinations include:
- Cheese, tomato, and basil
- Mushroom, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese
- White pizza with Alfredo sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese
- Garlic bread pizza with garlic butter, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese
- Vegetarian pizza with mushrooms, onions, peppers, and olives
- Margherita pizza with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and basil leaves
Meat lover options:
- Sausage, mushroom, and onion
- Pepperoni, cheese, and mushroom
- Barbecue chicken, red onion, and cilantro
- Philly cheese steak, onions, peppers, and cheese
- Italian sausage, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese
- Simple cheese and pepperoni pizza
- Hawaiian pizza with pineapple, ham, onion and cheese
- Buffalo chicken pizza with chicken, buffalo sauce, and blue cheese
- Meat lovers pizza with sausage, pepperoni, bacon, beef, onion and mozzarella
- Pesto pizza with chicken, pesto sauce, and mozzarella cheese
What kind of pizza sauce should I use for a thin pizza crust?
There are lots of different types of pizza sauce available in the grocery store. You can use your favorite type of pizza sauce:
- Taco pizza sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Pizza sauce with herbs
- White Alfredo sauce
- Spicy pizza sauce
- Pizza sauce with cheese
No matter what type of pizza sauce you use, it will be delicious!
How do I store this thin pizza crust dough?
This thin crust pizza dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Just place it in a ziplock bag, plastic wrap or a container and make sure that it is well-sealed. When you are ready to use it, let it come to room temperature and then proceed with the recipe instructions.
You can also store this dough in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just place it in a ziplock bag or container and make sure that it is well-sealed. When you are ready to use it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then proceed with the recipe instructions.
What kind of ingredients you should use for a thin pizza crust
To make this thin pizza crust recipe I only needed a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, just like myself.
I used all purpose flour that I first sifted and dry yeast, 1 pk of 0.25 oz. You can replace it with fresh yeast if dry yeast is not available; you just need to double the amount.
In addition to these I used olive oil because we love how great our pizza crust tastes with olive oil, salt and water. You can replace it with sunflower oil.
And that’s pretty much all you need to make an amazing thin pizza crust recipe!
How to make thin pizza crust
This recipe makes 4 thin crusts or 1 thick crust, for 2 people.
- I mixed the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Then I added the wet ingredients and mixed well.
- I followed with a little bit of kneading until the ingredients were fully combined and my dough was stretchy/elastic. I cut the dough into 4 dough balls.
- Then I floured the table and rolled 1/4 of the dough out with a rolling pin until it was super thin.
- I carefully transferred it to a pizza pan and added our favorite ingredients. To make the transfer easier you can roll out the pizza dough onto parchment or baking paper.
- Depending on the toppings, a pizza made with my crust recipe should be baked between 10 and 30 minutes, at about 400-420 F.
If you’re looking for an amazing thin pizza crust recipe, look no further! This recipe is easy to follow and yields delicious results. Give it a try today and see for yourself how good thin pizza crust can be! Let me know how it turns out for you in the comments below!
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
Thin pizza crust recipe
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 0.25 oz dry yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- flour sifter
- rolling pin
- pizza pan
- Pre heat the oven at 400F
- Mix flour with yeast and salt.
- Make a hollow in the middle, pour oil and water (photo #1 above)
- Knead until the dough is elastic (photo #2 and #3). Add a few more drops of water if needed to get the elastic texture.
- Dust the counter top with flour (photo #4)
- Roll the dough out with a rolling pin until you're happy with how thin it is (photo #5 and #6)
- Add your choice of topping and bake for about 20 minutes.
Most popular recipes:
- Spiced herb roasted sweet potato wedges
- French cream puffs
- Buttermilk fried chicken
- 6 Ingredients taco soup