This vegan cabbage recipe will become one of your favorite recipes with the very first bite! Easy to make and versatile, you can serve this baked cabbage as a main dish on itself or as s side dish along a steak!
This vegan cabbage recipe is one of my favorites! My mom used to make it regularly ever since I was a little child, it became kind of a tradition to have this vegan cabbage on our table about once a week.
Need more cabbage recipes?
Print the recipe
Pin to save for later
I love cabbage dishes but I hate the high level of fat and cholesterol fried cabbage brings along. It usually takes lots of oil to fry the cabbage before transferring it to the oven. Also most recipes for cabbage in the oven require meat, again not the healthiest option I’d choose. Some are even made with pickled cabbage which is super high in salt.
So for my vegan cabbage recipe I wanted to see how this oven roasted shredded cabbage would taste like without the meat, with a lot less oil and using fresh, sweet cabbage. Turns out, my baked cabbage casserole tasted super good! I believe I owe it all to the fresh cabbage and its delicious, fresh juice. Basically the cabbage ended up boiling in its own juice rather than frying.
If you’re looking for a tasty, vegetarian/vegan recipe that is also nutritious and pretty healthy, this cabbage casserole is quite the right choice. Just use very little oil and fry it to the minimum, focus more on the baking part and the spice addition and you’ll be in for one of the yummiest recipes you’ve ever made. Just as a side note I find Polenta the perfect match for this recipe.
You can also serve this vegan cabbage recipe with jalapeno or chili peppers, as a main dish if you are a vegetarian or a side dish next to a steak, grilled sausages or even grilled chicken legs or fish. Enjoy! And if you like this recipe don’t forget to rate it below in the comments section!
Make the recipe
Vegan Cabbage Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower oil
- Medium large fresh cabbage (medium size)
- 1 small onion, diced
- one small carrot, grated
- 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste or tomato juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch dill finely chopped – optional
- Pre heat oven to 350 F
- Remove outside cabbage leaves and discard
- Shred cabbage very thin (noodles like)
- Sprinkle salt over cabbage, stir and leave to rest about 15 minutes.
- Squeeze the cabbage gently between your hands to remove excess water.
- In a non stick skillet, heat up the oil and saute onion and carrot until onion is glassy
- Add cabbage to a baking dish, then sauteed onion and carrot, bay leaves, coriander seeds, thyme and ground pepper.
- Mix in tomato juice or tomato paste (I like the paste as it makes the food more colorful), the chopped dill (optional) and mix well with a spatula
- Slightly cover in water and transfer to the oven. Bake until the water has evaporated, about 25-30 minutes, mixing every 10 minutes.
- Your vegan cabbage recipe is done when the cabbage is nicely browned.