Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Pizza pinwheels are the perfect appetizer to make for any party! Not only they are incredibly delicious (they really are!) but they are also super easy, freezer friendly and oh so versatile. Stuffed with a delicious pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese and topped with Parmesan cheese, this pizza pinwheels recipe makes a fun meal for any time!
Pizza pinwheels recipe
There’s something delicious and indulgent about pizza! There’s also something super comforting about it. However making pizza from scratch can seem daunting and frozen pizza (while total life saver) can feel a little bit, well a little bit like frozen pizza.
Pizza pinwheels recipe on the other hand is super easy to make and super fun to eat! You only need a handful of ingredients that are super easy to find and everyone loves them.
More pizza ideas you will love:
- Mini bread hot dog pizzas
- Vegetarian pizza rolls
- Pizza baked potatoes
- Crispy cauliflower pizza
- Mini mummy pizzas
How to make pizza dough pinwheels
1. Don’t stress too much about measurements: The great thing about this recipe is that you can just add a little bit more of this or a little bit less of that and nothing will happen. This is one of those recipes where you can totally eyeball a couple of things which is probably the best thing when you are tired after a hard day and just Want.Some.Pizza.
2. Roll tightly: This is probably the most important step here. You want to make sure you are tightly rolling the dough so nothing comes out when you are slicing it, which takes me to the next point…
3. Use a piece of thread to cut it: The easier way to slice pizza pinwheels and cinnamon rolls? A piece of thread. You get a clean cut and perfectly shaped rolls instead of flat and mushy ones.
Can you freeze pizza pinwheels?
Yes! Just wrap them tightly with plastic wrap unbaked and take to the freezer. Once you are ready to eat them pop them directly from the freezer to the oven. Bake for around 10 minutes more than what the recipe recommends and voila!
1 Pound pizza dough
2 Cups pizza sauce
2 Cups mozzarella cheese
½ Cup Parmesan cheese
Optional toppings: Pepperoni, ham, sliced olives, pineapple bits, mushrooms..
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a baking pan and set aside.
2. With the help of a rolling pin, roll out the pizza dough to a rectangle. Pour pizza sauce on top and spread it out until you cover the whole rectangle.
3. Top with mozzarella cheese and half the Parmesan cheese and roll into a log.
4. With the help of thread slice the pizza pinwheels so they are around 1” thick. Discard both ends.
5. Transfer to the prepared baked pan and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
6. Take to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Print the recipe
Pizza pinwheels recipe
- 1 Pound pizza dough
- 2 Cups pizza sauce
- 2 Cups mozzarella cheese
- ½ Cup parmesan cheese
- Optional toppings: Pepperoni ham, sliced olives, pineapple bits, mushrooms..
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a baking pan and set aside.
- With the help of a rolling pin, tol the pizza dough to a rectangle. Pour pizza sauce on top and spread it out until you cover the whole rectangle.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and half the parmesan cheese and roll into a log. With the help of thread slice the pizza pinwheels so they are around 1” thick. Discard both ends.
- Transfer to the prepared baked pan and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese. Take to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Pin to save for later