Article may contain Amazon & affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
This spring why not try a delicious spicy chicken salad? So easy and quick to make, healthy and quite spicy! This yummilicious hot chicken salad recipe is very nutritious, filling and satisfying, it will feed 3-4 adults and help them feel full in just a few bites, great option for those looking to lose a few pounds!
Spicy Chicken salad
I love, LOVE salads and this delicious spicy chicken salad is no exception, it’s one of my favorites! I mean what’s not to love about salads? They’re healthy and nutritious, keep you full and energized for longer and are a great way to stick to a healthy diet if you’re willing to lose weight or keep your weight under control (and who doesn’t, right?).
I like to make my salads as fat free as possible and for that reason, many times I’m tempted to skip any sauce. It does make my salads tasteless and dull. And since dull and I are not on best terms I thought I’d better come up with some tastier and more appealing sauce ideas for this spicy chicken salad recipe, rather than give up on eating my salad altogether!
There are so many simple and easy ways to add a bit of life and flavor to a salad, using simple ingredients such as mustard or yogurt, honey, herbs or spices, garlic or a mixture of these. I particularly love yogurt and chili flakes and today I’ve made this spicy salad with chicken breast, root vegetables and lettuce, served with a delicious yogurt mustard sauce. I love making recipes healthier without sacrificing taste!
More chicken recipes you will love:
- Chicken rice pilaf
- Orange chicken in the slow cooker
- Greek lemon chicken soup
- Skillet chicken in sour cream mushroom sauce
- Chicken chili with sweet potatoes
This spicy chicken salad will serve 3-4 adults and help them feel full after just a few bites. But because it’s so big it will take you a bit longer to make than a regular salad, say roughly 15 minutes to cut and grate the veggie and about 10 more for cooking the chicken. Feel free to adjust the recipe to your needs!
I’d say this veggie chicken salad is pretty healthy as no extra fat or oil is added except for the chicken fat and a couple of tablespoons of oil used to cook the chicken (which you’ll drain before adding to the salad). Make sure you use skinless chicken breast and remove all the bits of fat to make this salad even skinnier.
I absolutely love the chili flakes, I’m a big fan of spicy, I pretty much feel like I’m in heaven when my taste buds are on fire lol. But I realize this is not for everyone so you may skip the chili flakes or choose a milder chili sauce. My chicken vegetable salad is also quite crunchy, thanks to the root vegetables and the sesame seeds, which is a big bonus for me as I really, really like crunchy. Like a lot!
Hot chicken salad recipe
You’ll use quite a few ingredients but trust me! it’s totally worth it! Here’s what you need:
- butter lettuce – or mixed greens
- carrots – cleaned, peeled and grated
- celery root – cleaned peeled and grated
- parsley – chopped; this is optional
- chopped green onions – replace with yellow or red onion when out of season and no green onions are available.
- chicken breast – boneless, skinless and cut into cubes of about 1″
- chili sauce – I prefer hot but mild would do too. If you don’t like spicy, replace with sweet paprika sauce.
- soy sauce – look for a low sodium one
- sesame seeds
- chili flakes – these are optional, if you like super spicy foods.
- Greek yogurt – low fat would be your best option
- lemon juice – freshly squeezed
- hot mustard – replace with regular mustard if you’re looking to make a less spicy salad.
- salt and pepper to taste
- sunflower oil – or any vegetable oil you have available.
How to make spicy chicken salad:
- Start by washing the chicken and removing the fat (if any) then cut the breast into 1″ cubes.
- Mix the chicken bits with chili sauce, soy sauce, sesame seeds and chili flakes.
- Let sit in a bowl, in the fridge, until you finish preparing the vegetables. It will act like a marinade so you can prepare this in advance, the night before, if you wish.
- Make the dressing by mixing yogurt, mustard, lemon, salt, pepper, green onions and parsley
- Grate the carrots and celery.
- Chop lettuce as small or big as you like and mix with celery and carrots.
- Heat a non stick pan for 1 minute, pour the sunflower oil and heat for 2 more minutes then add the chicken in plus 2 tablespoons of water. Cook to your liking then drain the chicken.
- When ready to serve the salad, mix vegetables with as much yogurt sauce as you like and top with chicken.
This recipe works great with a bit of smashed garlic added to the yogurt sauce. I like to serve this salad with whole wheat bread and a glass of pineapple lemonade on a side.
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
Spicy chicken salad
- 2 butter lettuce
- 3 medium carrots grated
- 1 small celery root grated
- 1 bunch of parsley chopped
- 1 handful green onions chopped
- 1 1/4 lbs chicken breast skinless, boneless
- 2 tsp chili sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2-3 tsp chili flakes
- 1 cup Greek yogurt low fat, plain
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp hot mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- Clean the chicken and remove any fat
- Cut into 1" pieces
- Mix with chili sauce, soy sauce, sesame seeds and chili flakes
- Set aside in a bowl until you finish preparing the vegetables
- Mix yogurt, mustard, lemon, salt, pepper, green onions and parsley
- Grate carrots and celery
- Chop lettuce and mix with celery and carrots
- Heat a pan for 1 minute, pour the sunflower oil and heat for 2 more minutes.
- Add chicken in and 2 tablespoons of water
- Cook until golden if you like the chicken well done
- When serving, mix vegetables with as much yogurt sauce as you like and top with chicken.
Most popular recipes:
- French cream puffs
- Spiced herb roasted sweet potato wedges
- Buttermilk fried chicken
- 6 Ingredients taco soup