Sweet and thick with a touch of cinnamon spicy, this green tomato jam with apples is a delicious way to use up end of the season green tomatoes. This yummy tomato jam recipe is great to use on chicken and steaks or just spread on toast in the morning next to a hot cup of tea or coffee.
Green Tomato Jelly
Don’t let the boring looking tomatoes fool you! This recipe for green tomato jam makes such a delicious, sweet jam with sugar, apples and cinnamon! The combination of apple and tomato juice can only be good for you as they’re both natural products full of vitamins and minerals. Sugar makes it a bit more difficult, health wise, but since we don’t eat sweets every day, especially this apple jam recipe, I think we can allow ourselves to indulge every once in a while.
Print the recipe
Need more tomato recipes?
- Homemade pickled green tomatoes with vinegar
- Cold tomato soup
- Roasted tomato basil soup
- Tomato pesto recipe
Pin to save for later
This green tomato jam is one of the simplest and easiest I’ve ever made! Made with only a few ingredients, it tastes like fancy, more complex recipes. If you grow your own tomatoes, you probably have a surplus of green tomatoes so instead of canning them all using my Pickled Green Tomatoes recipe, why not save some for this tomato jelly too? You’ll thank yourself on those nasty, cold winter evenings when you’ll cuddle up on the couch with a cup of hot tea, savoring a slice of bread spread with this lip-smacking tomato apple jam!
I found this tomato jam recipe extremely appealing to my taste buds when served warm. I also sprinkled a few sunflower seeds on my jam and served with a cup of linden tea, my most favorite for its calming effects. True Zen, I tell you!!
Make the recipe
Green Tomato Jam
- 4 lbs Green tomatoes
- 4 lbs Apples (I used red but green work just as great)
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 2 Lemons
- 4 lbs sugar (if apples are really sweet, cut sugar in half)
- Cut tomatoes into smaller pieces and make a green tomato puree using a blender. Add tomatoes little by little.
- If your tomatoes have seeds and rough peel, strain the puree through a sieve (mine were perfect, no seeds and soft peel so I didn’t need to strain).
- Pour the tomato juice into a roomy saucepan bring to a boil. Turn the heat on low and simmer until you get left with half the juice.
- Pour sugar and continue simmering until you get a medium thick syrup
- Meanwhile dice the apples. Alternatively you could grate the apples or pass them through a blender if you want your jam to have a smoother texture or you don’t like to feel apple chunks in your jam. This method will also help you spread the jam easier on toast.
- Grate the lemon, set it aside and squeeze the lemon juice out.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice on the apples. This will prevent the apples from browning until the tomato syrup is done
- When the tomato syrup is dense enough, add the apple cubes, the cinnamon sticks and the lemon zest
- Keep simmering until all apple cubes get a glassy texture.
- And you’re done! Enjoy your super delicious green tomato jam!!
- To preserve this jam for months use this method for canning.
Wanna make this amazing recipe? Let me know in the comments how you found it!