If you’re a bread fanatic, this soft and delicious homemade sandwich bread is a recipe you need to add to your baking repertoire now! Perfect for making lunch sandwiches or serve as toast with butter, jelly or peanut butter in the morning for breakfast!
Homemade sandwich bread
You only need one great white bread recipe and this homemade sandwich bread is it! This white sandwich bread is so soft and airy but compact and dense enough to serve it with jelly or jam and butter or with pesto sauce, as I do when I need a quick snack.
Sandwich recipes for this sandwich bread:
- Omelette sandwich with sun dried tomatoes
- Spicy Indian omelette sandwich
- Peanut butter Nutella banana sandwich
- Spicy sandwich with ham, cheese and cabbage
I’ve been very much into baking my own bread lately and have experimented with a few recipes. I make this white bread recipe almost every day and these soft bread rolls when we want our dinner to look and feel a little fancier. But ever since I tried this homemade sandwich bread I’m hooked and have a hard time deciding on which bread recipe is my favorite.
Everybody loves a perfect bread recipe and this sandwich bread recipe is simply amazing! The dough is soft and supple, it rises super high and bakes beautifully, so soft and tender! This bread is so easy to make, perfect for lots of uses and turns out perfectly every time. So grab your yeast and let’s get baking!
More bread recipes:
- No yeast herb & cheese bread
- Simple soft bread rolls
- Fluffy basic bread recipe
- Cranberry brie pull apart bread
Easy sandwich bread recipe
What makes this wonderful bread so fluffy and soft is the milk, egg and butter addition. Other ingredients used are fresh yeast, flour, water, sugar and salt. This recipe makes 2 loaves.
1. Mix warm water with yeast and sugar. Stir to combine and leave at room temperature until the yeast form bubbles.
2. Sift the flour and make a well in the middle.
3. Pour the yeast mixture then add the egg, sugar, salt, milk and melted butter.
4. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for about 1 hour or until doubled in volume. If you want to speed up the process, turn the oven on at 350 F – 180 C and keep the bowl on the stovetop.
5. When the dough has risen, shape it into a log.
6. Place it into a 8.5 ” x 4. 5 ” pan, cover. Let rise again at room temperature until double in size.
7. Pre heat the oven to 350 F, if you haven’t already.
8. Bake the bread for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and the top sounds hollow when tapped.
9. Leave to cool slightly in the pan before removing and slicing.
Print the recipe
Homemade sandwich bread
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp fresh yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 6 - 6 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a bowl add the warm water, yeast and a teaspoon of sugar. Stir to combine and leave at room temperature for about 5-10 minutes until the yeast starts bubbling.
- In a mixing bowl sift the flour and make a well in the middle.
- Pour the yeast mixture, add the egg, rest of the sugar, salt, milk and melted butter.
- Mix well until the dough forms then knead until you get a soft and elastic ball.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for about 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
- When the dough has risen, punch it down gently and shape it into 2 logs.
- Place the logs into 2 greased baking pans, cover and let rise again at room temperature until the logs are double in size.
- In the meantime, heat the oven to 350F.
- Bake the bread for about 30 minutes until golden brown and the top sounds hollow when tapped.
- Leave to cool slightly in the pan before removing and slicing.