Flutter Sleeve Dress Pattern
- 100 % cotton fabric in 2 different patterns – fabric 1 for bodice and sleeves and fabric 2 for skirt (optional; you can use same fabric for both bodice & skirt): 64 cm W x 100 cm H for bodice = 25″ W x 39″ H; 136 cm W x 40 cm H for sleeves = 53 ” W x 16″ H; 122 cm W x 68 cm H for skirt = 48″ W x 26″ H)
- contrast or matching thread
- Sewing machine and serger if you have
- baking paper to draw the pattern
- Fabric marker
- 1 button
- small piece of ribbon, fabric, elastic or lace to make a loop for the button
Directions for the Flutter sleeve dress pattern:
Preparing the fabrics
- Start by cutting the fabrics for the Bodice: 2 times 12″ x 20″ – Fabric 1
- Cut 4 piece of 13″ x 4″ – Fabric 1
- Then cut 2 pieces of 24″ x 13″ for the skirt – Fabric 2 (if you want to make the skirt longer add an inch or two to the height)
Making the bodice
- Put bodice fabrics together facing wrong side
- Decide which one is going to be the outer bodice
- On the “outer” bodice fabric draw a circle for the neck using the measurements in the photo above.
- Leave a 4″ slit in the back.
- Cut out the circle and cut down the slit.
- Put the bodice fabrics right side together
- Take the lace, elastic, ribbon etc piece and make a loop
- Place the loop in between fabrics, on the slit, as close to the top as possible
- Sew the fabrics together with 1/8″ seam allowance, around the hole and line.
- Clip around the circle as shown here.
- Turn the fabrics right side out, finger press and iron press
- Serge the top and bottom edges of the bodice. If you don’t have a serger, use the zig-zag stitch on your machine to finish seams or fold fabric in twice, 1/8″ each fold (note: this works well on thin to medium fabrics only)